Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
With the engine out of the car to fix the dang oil leak, I decided it was a good time to change 1 or 2 other parts. The car came with a QA1 handling kit and since the current suspension was a disaster, I dove in to the upgrade.

First step was the pull the subframe

Then I got busy stripping all the old parts. Taking things off sure is easy. Check out the springs in the middle left of the image. Different lengths! One was obviously cut. What the heck is going on here...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It took me a while to get all the relevant parts together for the front suspension, so I did some fitment checking.

Mocking up the control arms and the new spindle

I bought a wheel rite tool to see what kind of wheel I can fit. I want to get 18x10s all around. That looks fine in the rear, but has some issues up front. Im still not totally sure if the 18x10 will fit up front, so once the sub frame is ready to go back in the car ill mock everything up again. If the 10s dont fit, I can get an 8 in the same style.

You can see the steering arm interferes with the wheel. Running the C5 hubs moves the wheel inward quite a bit, and the drop spindle moves the wheel up such that the wide part of the wheel isnt helping with clearance. Ill end up making my own steering arms and use a heim joint instead of a ball to get extra clearance.

I then moved the subframe to the garage and started fixing some of the crappy welds.

Above you can see how some of the welds had gaps.

Below, welding the seams which were left open (a bit at a time).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
While the front of the car was totally pulled apart, I cleaned up the firewall. In particular I really didnt like the big crease where there was more clearance pounded in for the distributor and bellhousing. So I cut out a section and replaced it. My first time making a sheet metal patch and first time welding sheet metal. Not super fun really...

There were a ton of other small problems to fix as well. Some areas were dented and I tried using a dent puller on those (with some success). Some areas were split and needed some welding. I put fresh seam sealer on all gaps once I was done. Im not great at sheet metal work and have very little experience with bondo and body prep. I figured this was a good place to experiment and learn some things. Basically I learned its a crap ton of work to do right, so now I know for when I patch the hole in the left rear fender.

Ready for paint!

Im pretty happy with the results...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
One of the best investments I've made in my shop is the blast cabinet, and my power coat setup. This part is done in Prismatic Powders Black Jack which is a satin black. I hadnt used it yet so I wanted to test it out. I plan to paint the car satin black so Ill use this powder coat in a few places. Its super smoky as it cures which is a bit annoying.

I hate sandblasting parts like this where I cant disassemble them. Luckily my ultrasonic cleaner got pretty much all the grit out. Rattle can for this one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I went to town on the subframe getting it cleaned up and ready for paint. Started with a couple wire wheels on the angle grinder.

For the really stubborn and hard to reach areas, I made a 5 gallon bucket in to a hopper for a spare media blast gun I had. Actually worked really well!

Happy dog says its ready for paint.

Any color is fine...as long as its black...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Getting the new dash, gauges, and wiring kit installed. Im excited to see how the GPS speedo works. Certainly very simple to install.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
821 Posts
I put a GPS speedometer in my truck. Only issue is sometimes there is a delay in it synching up. Especially if it's an overcast cloudy day. Other than that, it works great.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts