Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Weekend project.. snow performance methanol injection stage 1 kit... adds 20 points to octane / allows more timing in boost for more power

made a bracket to mount the pump to the frame and mounted the tank... have to order a bigger nozzle, tap the intake pipe, and then wire this all up

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
It will come on 1/2 anticipated full boost level and spray from there.. this is the budget kit so no it isn't progressive. It is controlled by a boost activated switch and relay.

Here is a list of the best methanol content you can find local. I will just buy some 30 or 20 below wiper fluid at Wal Mart

This kit is 280 on ebay

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I used to make my own boots juice. But wiper fluid is a good start. How much boost are you expecting ?
I am shooting for 600 wheel hp so whatever boost level it takes to get there. I think it can make that on 10psi ? so if things look good on the dyno and such we will max out the 2 bar map sensor and go for 13-14psi

For the boost mix, you can buy 2 bottles of yellow heet at wal mart and add them to a gallon of 2 buck wal mart blue fluid (no glycol of course) and make your own juice for about 5 bucks a gallon.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
This kit uses a boost activated switch to trigger the relay/pump to begin spraying. It is adjustable with an allen key.

Got the wiring all cleaned up and loomed for the relay/power to boost switch.

Also got the LED indicators for the tank level and activation mounted in my ashtray.

Really just alil cleanup and plumbing the nozzle left to do.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Looks like a good time.
I'm jealous.

Just don't let anyone else fill the tank.
The beaten, battered, and abused '79 Nova that I grew up riding around in had what had started life as a high-compression 350 in it (second engine), with a "water" injection system installed (emissions state - methanol wasn't allowed).
Since no one really cared about that car in the last few years of its life, the kids were often allowed to fill the tank. More often than not, it got chocolate milk, melted popsicles, juice, or anything else that was handy.
The one time that my mother filled the tank, she put 10w40 in it. :eek:
The carbon build-up, once the engine finally lost all compression, was incredible. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Drove the car yesterday to the tuner and dropped it off... I am not used to driving 50 miles and only using like 2.5 gallons in gas, lol....

Nova is getting dyno tuned today and tuner texted me saying she is building boost great.... everythings running good.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
13lbs and 12 degrees timing maxxed out map sensor

Dyno video

Car is ready to rip and I will be swapping rear gear and some other items.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Finished up dyno tune this weekend. Tune is VERY conservative in terms of timing and had some traction issues on a newer model stingy dyno jet.

4.11 rear gear and th400 sapping power on the dyno jet, but the turbo spools great!! considering taller gear 3.50 maybe...

Made 486 Wheel HP with a smooth boost curve holding power up to 6500 rpm

Maxed out the 2 bar cobalt sensor at 13lb's of boost so I will need to upgrade to a 3 bar

Can throw 3-5 degrees more timing at it in boost to pickup another 25-30 hp per degree of timing.

Pretty much leaving around 160hp more on the table just from timing bump to remain conservative, which is fine for now while I get used to it and work out any bugs.... Also can pick up additional HP by upping the boost more... Doubt I will go over 17lbs or so total

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Finished my downpipe and got it dumped under the car... also re did my wastegate as the vibrant flex bellows was warping from heat. SO now I can get my hood on and painted.

Plan now is to bump the timing up to get in the 530whp range and I am hoping to purchase my own tuning equipment and software here in the near future.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
downpipe wrapped and added a nice little turbo protector made in North Carolina from Turbo Guard

I also bought and am learning HP tuners software... got the MPVI Pro inferface so I have my wideband wired into the software. I am also considering logging my fuel pressure using a transducer

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Starting to put together a 65,000 mile big rod shortblock with some ls6 style heads (799)....

This one will be gapped for 3 bar boost 20lbs :)

stay tuned

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
pulled my old shortblock in December and had it up and running again in January

This time my rings are gapped for plenty of boost... The other week I swapped out for a bigger turbo 83mm billet from VS Racing and got the car on the dyno finally ... 10lbs of boost, 551hp I am happy

61 - 79 of 79 Posts