Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After losing my brother back in October of 2020 I decided to build a 64 as a memorial piece for him. It had to be a 64 because of a history with that car. He had yellow one in his 20s that he would eventually get rid of and then we had a silver SS we bracket raced for a bit. Right when I was finishing high school he got a job to work on the nhra tour and we sold the silver one. He worked he way up to eventually become a crew chief.

So while he'd love a not so clean garage build like we use to have, I know he'd more love something a little cleaner and have some power. This will be my attempt to build it rather than buying it as much as possible.

I picked up this 64 this last summer from someone on the site here in CA and finally got around to working on it this passed Dec.

Plan so far
-remove front clip
-imstall mini tubs
-fill firewall holes
-remove aftermarket subframe connectors
-strip and reprimer (changing int & ext colors)
-full suspension upgrade all around
-ls swap

Progress can also be followed on ig @64novabuild

This is for you Eric.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
'67 4 door, 65 wagon. WISCONSIN
7,058 Posts
Sorry about your brother, this is a great tribute.

I have to say, I love the color it is now, my favorite on Novas.

Reactions: ljl7642

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

In February I was able to remove glass both front and back. Old hard rubber especially in the back made it a long process. Thanks to a lot of tips from researching on here I think I didn't mess anything up.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
March was a quiet month with no real work done. April brought about getting it down to just a shell. Entire front clip is removed and pulled the rear end /leaf springs.

After lots of debating on which direction to go I took the short trip over to TCI, luckily I live less than 10 mins away and ordered a protouring ifs and torque arm set up. Also added a Currie rear end and Wildwood brakes around. I know my brother would want it tricked out like this.
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the two Novas that will serve as inspiration for this project. The interior will become black and exterior will be this similar yellow with silver somehow also
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
So sorrry for the loss of your brother --- when i loss my father he had left me some oney and I asked my wife how can i honor my father. He gave me my first 1963 Nova SS hard top in 1969 then proceeded to help me put a Z28 302 into it --- it was fast in those days in San Jose. Now everytime I work on my new 1963 Nova SS convertible I can hear my father yelling at me hey stupid that is a 1/2 inch not a 9/16s. I would give anyhting for hime to see and help me now!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey look at this. It's me, the guy who sold you the 64! I'm so happy to see you making progress on the Nova and quite pleased this car is a solid base for a tribute for your brother.

I really dig the silver cars fender flares - very period correct and also subtle. I suspect when time comes you'll find some Bondo on those rear quarter panels anyway.

If perhaps you need it- I bought the 64 ididit tilt column in bare stainless that didn't fit my 67. If you're interested we could talk a deal.

I look forward to following the build and would love to come cruise when it's ready!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks I finally got around to putting the project on here. With TCI right down the street and help Andy the Nova Guy I've made some good progress. Been learning lots as I go. I actually have a column already on order with TCI but thanks for the offer. There's some Bondo in the left taillight area for sure so I'll probably have to cut that out and get a replacement piece but it's solid. I hope it won't take too long to put together and you'll be able to go for a cruise!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didn't get as much done today as I wanted but removed the trunk lid and started cutting for the mini tubs. The spot welds were a pain but a combo of a drill, putty knife, chisels and sawzall got the supports outs. Next step using DSE templates and more cutting.
Hood Tire Automotive lighting Blue Motor vehicle

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks I finally got around to putting the project on here. With TCI right down the street and help Andy the Nova Guy I've made some good progress. Been learning lots as I go. I actually have a column already on order with TCI but thanks for the offer. There's some Bondo in the left taillight area for sure so I'll probably have to cut that out and get a replacement piece but it's solid. I hope it won't take too long to put together and you'll be able to go for a cruise!
Sounds good buddy. I'm going to keep a close eye on this build thread!

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Does it look like the driver side rear has been hit..? Is the frame rail underneath kinked up..?
The trunk deck sheet metal around the inner wheel tub looks deformed a little bit.. Could be a lighting illusion but I have seen this type of damage before.. If it is deformed you’ll probably want to address this before you weld in the new wheel tubs.. Otherwise, you’ll be locking in the tweaked rail and your TCI crossmember uses the trunk floor and frame rail to reference its position..
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven't noticed any issues with the frame rails. But at the left rear light it's been repaired like someone backed into something. I'll give an extra closer look because I'm far from an expert on these things. But I have had someone with tons of experience give it a few looks and that's been the only issue we've come across so far 🤞🤞🤞

1 - 20 of 28 Posts