Chevy Nova Forum banner
841 - 860 of 870 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #841 · (Edited)
Got most of the processor box wired up Saturday but it wouldn't start up. Turns out I'm not getting 12V switched power too it. It needs 12V switched power to operate. With help and guidance, I learned that the ACC function on the ignition does not work. RUN and START do but not ACC. So I have ordered a new ignition switch which should be here by end of week. Here are a few pictures...

Needed to drill holes in two spots on bezel for the Shift Light (redline) for tach and also for the switch that goes w/Dakota setup used to calibrate fuel gauge and speedometer as well as setup the various functions the system comes with. Switch will also serve as a way to navigate through the menu display to get info after it's all operational.

Wood Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Gas Electronic device

Rectangle Wood Wood stain Hardwood Flooring

Here is ignition switch... I thought it was in the key cylinder lock ut learned it is actually here on top of steering column. (Thanks Custon Jim!)

Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Gas Wire

I have also discovered I can't use my aftermarket radio in this bezel because the knob holes are further apart so I am looking for an OE radio that fits a 76 style bezel. I believe most 71-76 X body radios should work...Certainly 75-76s for sure. If anyone has one they don't need, let me know.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #843 · (Edited)
Kim I have an AM, FM, Cassette from my 78. Untested but its yours if you want it.
That sounds great. On my 75 omega bezel (in pictures above) the distance between the knobs -- center to center is 6 1/4" . The measurements for the rectangular hole are 1 3/4" H X 4 1/2" W. Do you think your radio would fit in my bezel? It's been difficult to find the right radio . It's amazing how many different variations there are in 70s GM radios!

·
Registered
522 Posts
That sounds great. On my 75 omega bezel (in pictures above) the distance between the knobs -- center to center is 6 1/4" . The measurements for the rectangular hole are 1 3/4" H X 4 1/2" W. Do you think your radio would fit in my bezel? It's been difficult to find the right radio . It's amazing how many different variations there are in 70s GM radios!
Mine is too narrow at the control knobs and the height of the center is way too tall 2.5". You must need just an AM/FM without cassette.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #846 ·
Mine is too narrow at the control knobs and the height of the center is way too tall 2.5". You must need just an AM/FM without cassette.
Yes, I have seen a few different variations on the knob to knob measurement on radios that you would think would fit a 75 Omega bezel. 5 3/4, 5 15/16, 6 1/4 and 6 3/4...This surprised me. Thanks so much for checking and your offer--Much Appreciated!

I have found a couple on ebay that should fit... I hate to cut this bezel up and go aftermarket but I also don't want to spend a lot of money on a radio I won't listen to anyway (I like to listen to the car :)). I will have to decide soon.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #847 ·
Yes, I have seen a few different variations on the knob to knob measurement on radios that you would think would fit a 75 Omega bezel. 5 3/4, 5 15/16, 6 1/4 and 6 3/4...This surprised me. Thanks so much for checking and your offer--Much Appreciated!

I have found a couple on ebay that should fit... I hate to cut this bezel up and go aftermarket but I also don't want to spend a lot of money on a radio I won't listen to anyway (I like to listen to the car :)). I will have to decide soon.

Would you have any interest in selling me the knobs & plug if you have them?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #848 ·
Still plugging away with the Dakota installation. In the process I have discovered a weird electrical issue that is thus far, a mystery. Have replaced ignition switch but not sure that is the problem. This may take a while... I want to get that fixed before I finish installation. In the meantime, I continue working on the bezel to get it ready. I did find a nice, working AM radio out of a 76 Omega that fits into my 75 Omega bezel.

Office equipment Machine Audio equipment Film camera Gadget

The bezel I recently got is in great shape except the mounts for the radio on the back side were broken off.

Automotive lighting Bumper Audio equipment Gas Automotive exterior

So, I needed to cut/grind off the broken material around the knob holes to make it flat so I can glue on some new mounts for the radio...I did this with a dremel tool.

Wood Gas Gun accessory Musical instrument accessory Metal

My Brother-in Law will make me new mounts with his 3D printer... I will glue on with JB Weld...

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #850 ·
Got the new radio mounts made and glued with JB Weld. Radio will be a perfect fit! I'm a new fan of 3D printing :cool:! My brother in law did a great job. Now I just need to get the rest of the bezel finished which will involve painting it black and putting on new wood grain with contact paper...

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Gas Auto part

Also, more importantly, yesterday I discovered my problem with my Accessory circuit was actually a mistake that I was making... So everything is now working as it should and Digital gauge cluster is now ready to setup all the different functions. Hopefully this will be accomplished this week!

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·
Made some more progress today. The wiper switch for the 75 Olds bezel has a different shaped plug on the back than the 79 Phoenix switch, so I spliced the Olds plug in to replace Phoenix plug. I will use the 75 Omega switch--hope it works! I also re-attached the OE radio plug to my harness as it had been partially cut off when someone installed an aftermarket unit.

Continued work on the bezel to get it painted...

Brown Wood Wood stain Door Varnish

Wood Wood stain Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment

Next step will be to put in the "chrome" accents on the raised edges. I will use a silver paint pen available at STAPLES . I used this 11 years ago on my original Phoenix bezel. It worked pretty good. Finally I will put in new "woodgrain" with some contact paper I got on AMAZON.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #854 ·
Thanks Rusty! The 75 Omega I got it out of has been sitting in the woods getting wet inside for years---moss all over the interior. So it's nice to save a good part and it will look good in my Phoenix. Can't wait to finish the installation either tomorrow or Monday.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #855 · (Edited)
Setback! Got the dash almost totally re-assembled and then as I tightened up the radio one of the radio mounts I had glued on snapped loose...then the other! :mad: an hour and a half down the drain... There's a lot of stress put on those mounts... So, I took it all back apart and have made the holes for the shafts bigger to allow more movement and flexibility and re-glued...we'll see. If this doesn't hold, I'll have to figure out something else... Stay tuned :)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #858 ·
It's in and everything is working beautifully! Got the radio installed today. Re-glued with different glue and went about it a little differently. Also calibrated the speedometer and that is nice and accurate. I can't say enough about the quality of the cluster and the design. The instructions on this Dakota Digital cluster were also extremely well thought out and easy to follow. It was pricey but well worth it for me. Everything works beautifully! Some pictures below...

Just before re-installing bezel

Motor vehicle Computer hardware Electrical wiring Cable Electronic engineering

Installed
Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Vehicle audio Automotive exterior

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive design

Lights off
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Lights on

Speedometer Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Trip computer Car

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #860 ·
Now that I'm retired I have been enjoying driving the Phoenix more than ever this summer. Ironically it hasn't worked out to go to any cruises or shows yet but hope to go to a couple before the season ends. No big projects planned but I still haven't figured out why my blower motor for heater/def doesn't work. Also haven't figured out why my electric choke doesn't work (Hate electric chokes!). But I did change the oil, clean the engine compartment up a little and washed and waxed it. Here are some pictures...

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Light Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle

841 - 860 of 870 Posts