Chevy Nova Forum banner
801 - 820 of 839 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #802 ·
What would cause this? For the past few months when I've taken the Phoenix out I've noticed a clunk noise going over some raod bumps and even under hard acceleration... Felt like something loose. Finally took a look and this is what I found...

I also see there has been a little rubbing of the shock against the P-brake cable.

This all started after I had jacked it up to replace the brake hardware on this wheel. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 ·
WHICH WIOULD WORK BEST? I have a good deal of spring hop in 1st and 2nd gear that I need to control before I break something. Which traction bar would be best for my 79 Phoenix?

Here is a Lakewood set with rubber snubber bushings

Lakewood 21606: Leaf Spring Traction Bars 1967-78 GM Car | JEGS

Here is an old set of Southside Machine bars the bolt to the shock mount and directly to the spring itself.

I understand it's best for the snubber (as on the Lakewood bars) to hit at the front eye of the spring or it could danage the spring eventually. Is that true or would it be okay to hit about 3" shy of the eye? I just cruise in the Phoenix with occasionally getting on it. I don't race it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #804 · (Edited)
In the past few months I installed a set of Lakewood traction bars. The solved my wheel hop problem which is what caused my shock to slip off the rubber bushing (above). The car is now more stable on hard acceleration. :)

Also got my speedometer working again after 2 years. It was a ground issue.

Recently I had the Phoenix up on a lift and noticed the tongue on the front of the cross member was kind of splitting. When I installed the 5 speed a fews years back I had to modify the cross member and kind of guestimated on how long the tongue should be. It worked --but put the trans mount bolt, nut and washer right out on the end of the tongue. As it turns out, it didn't provide adequate support so I am getting it to a welder to lengthen the tongue by 5/8".

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm glad you fixed the wheel hop. I had to put a set of Caltracks on my 78. These cars weren't made for the kind of HP we are adding. I'm thinking frame connectors are next.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #806 ·
I don't think I'm going to need frame connectors but I do feel better about the my trans mount now with 3/4" added to the tongue. A really nice guy did it for me for free.

I've been working on figuring out some oil leaks for a couple weeks. One power steering hose and the other I THINK the oil pressure sender near the distributor. I took both apart and re-sealed threads.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 · (Edited)
Got the oil leaks fixed...replaced intake gaskets even though that was not the problem. Then replaced VC gaskets and used just cork gasket w/no rtv. Also tightened the oil sender tubing, oil pan bolts, and bolts around fuel pump cover... Oil leaks now gone. :) Had the Phoenix at the dealership where I work and took this picture on Saturday...

One of my traction bar snubbers fell off so I have new one coming... Turn signals quit wourking so I will try a flasher first but may be a ground issue... Have a water leak that shows up about 1/2 hr after I park the car... Have replaced lower hose and clamps but haven't been able to figure out yet where it's coming from... Water pump? --hopefully not a freeze plug.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #808 ·
Replaced water pump. That solved the water leak. The water pump, though I'm sure was not original, came off the original 305 that was in the car when I bought it 10 years ago... Also a new flasher unit fixed the turn signals. Still need to replace the lost traction bar snubber. I have to grind the rubber down to get the proper clearance between the snubber and spring. Shouldn't take long at all...
Then hopefully get back to what I was working on a year ago and that is to get my tach & speedometer lights working again. I'm sure it's a loose connection--probably a ground issue. I still want to change out my AC kick panels for the non-AC vented ones--maybe this winter.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,854 Posts
I really like that Picture . . . . you posted , above . . . . . .

Looking Sharp . . . . . (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
A little update on recent progress.

Also re-painted trunk jamb and installed another set of rear window trim. This trim is a little more beat up than what I had but is definitely shinier -see below.(sorry for lousy picture). Hmmm...Looks like I need to touch up my trunk seal.

@kimrobertson
any info on the bottom section of rear window moulding? my trim is good shape, but it is just sitting there w no clips holding it down. the rivets protrude through the trim. i am looking for info on the type of clips or fasterners for that piece... GREAT looking car!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #812 ·
Thanks! -- I got my clips from a local body shop supply place but they look like the ones on the links below...

It might also be like these...

The clips fasten onto those rivets and then you slide the trim through the clips.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #813 ·
Thanks! -- I got my clips from a local body shop supply place but they look like the ones on the links below...

It might also be like these...

The clips fasten onto those rivets and then you slide the trim through the clips.

Welcome to the site!

Actually I think the right clips are the top one pictured above. You might even be able to get them at NAPA.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #814 ·
Since last post I have replaced power steering pulley, crank and water pump pulleys with chrome ones. Also installed chrome alternator, new battery and changed oil. Dressed it up nice! Will have engine pictures soon. Took some recent photos of the Phoenix. Thought I would post them. It was a little dirty from tree pollen but shots look pretty good anyway...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #815 ·
View attachment 419066 View attachment 419067

View attachment 419068
View attachment 419069
View attachment 419070
View attachment 419071
View attachment 419072
View attachment 419073
[/QUOTE]
Since last post I have replaced power steering pulley, crank and water pump pulleys with chrome ones. Also installed chrome alternator, new battery and changed oil. Dressed it up nice! Will have engine pictures soon. Took some recent photos of the Phoenix. Thought I would post them. It was a little dirty from tree pollen but shots look pretty good anyway...

View attachment 419066 View attachment 419067

View attachment 419068
View attachment 419069
View attachment 419070
View attachment 419071
View attachment 419072
View attachment 419073

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #817 ·
My drivers arm rest was getting kind of weak. The plastic was broken inside...Someone gave me some new arm rests (OER from JEGS). So I took the door panel off and repainted it with SEM Satin Black and then installed the new arm rest. OER quality is excellent! Next is the passenger side.

That's a great looking car! You've done a great job on it.
Thanks Gerry. It seems like it's never quite finished :)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #818 ·
Here is passenger side re-painted with new armrest. They look good freshened up...

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Kim,

Now you're making want to go out and buy the replacement OER handles and a set of the really expensive repro tail lights to finally "complete" mine after 7 years lol.

Kev

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #820 · (Edited)
As I have time I've been trying to figure out a low load surging problem... No vacuum leaks, tried limiting vacuum advance with a plate in the distributor. No luck so far so next is to rebuld the Edelbrock want install a different jet/metering rod combo in the process... We'll see... hopefully by the weekend.

801 - 820 of 839 Posts