Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its getting there, still waiting on money for some parts now, but hope to have it running by the spring...
Went with a straight axle at first then swapped to a 4" drop, the straight would have been way too tall...
Its getting a LM7 5.3 with a carb intake and a pretty decent cam(232/230 Dur. @.050 .580"/.580" Lift 110 LSA) TH350, narrowed 8.8 with 3.73s and hope to fit a 26x10.5...
Before pic...
http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/181205/1134868497/motorout1.JPG
drop axle

http://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55225
http://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55227
http://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53460

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Looking good, like the 5.3 idea. I'm usind the 350 out of my old truck with a th350. Deuces wild, now that is one sweet car.
This is what made me decide to build a gasser

and of course

·
Registered
559 Posts
though its way before my time. I love that hilbourn injection stack sticking out of the hood. Ever since i was like 5 i go crazy when i would see a car like that.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Straight Axle Cars

This was my racecar that I sold about 5 years ago. It was originally built about 1973. It also had a dropped axle. The tilt frontend was all steel, modified stock parts. I bought it as a roller and had to make a lot of updates including an Alston cage. It had an original 12 bolt with about 4.11 gears. I dropped a really mild 350 in it and ran best of 13.29. (Needed lots more motor). The car was a blast.

Good luck on your project. Hope you have as much fun with it as I did with mine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, im hoping to have it running by the summer, all im lacking is rebuilding the tranny, narrowing the rear, and the time to put it all back together:p

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
straightaxlenova said:
62Duece,
Nice work on your project,it looks great.
Here's some recent shots of the car listed in post#2.

I've got the motor out for freshening up, and will be re-assembling soon.
I am also fabricating a new tube axle out of 4130, the last one was built out of mild steel, and got pretty bent up from wheelstanding the car. I will post some photos when I get done welding it next weekend.
Feel free to P.M. any time. Straight axle guys need to stick together.
Best of luck with your project.
Cheers,
Bill
Your nova looks awesome:cool:

Yeah Ive found you need to do alot of your own research and pretty much start from scratch with something like this, but then again, I like having something everyone else doesnt:)
Ill deffinantly hit you up if I have any questions as youve been there before:p
Ill also get some pics up as I make progress.:)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
straightaxlenova said:
62Duece,
Nice work on your project,it looks great.
Here's some recent shots of the car listed in post#2.

I've got the motor out for freshening up, and will be re-assembling soon.
I am also fabricating a new tube axle out of 4130, the last one was built out of mild steel, and got pretty bent up from wheelstanding the car. I will post some photos when I get done welding it next weekend.
Feel free to P.M. any time. Straight axle guys need to stick together.
Best of luck with your project.
Cheers,
Bill
The general concensus I got from axle fabricators was not to use chrome moly. They said it was too prone to cracking from hard use (being strong but hardened) Tom Medlock that made the Match Bash car in hotrod makes one that he puts a piece of stock inside the tube. Heavier, Yes but it least it won't bend. I posted more about this in another thread here.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Good luck with your Gasser,, Here is a pic of mine and one of the new interior, ( pic still in the donor car), now in mine.. Slowly but surely it will hit the street soon..

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Tom said he changed his design after problems, and he was the best I had found so far. And that was after six axles that I didn't like. The other fabricators (mostly speedway car builders) said that besides the cracking there would be a problem with the axle having a memory, I.E. if the moly did bend, it wouldn't spring back like mild steel. You proved that theory, perhaps it was the presents of the straight stock? Makes no difference, bent is bent. I think part of the problem with this is that very few people that build these cars ever use them that hard, so theres hardly any complains about this. So if I'm reading this right, you made your own this time? Did you buy the ends pre-made? Ford or chevy spindles? and how did you position the ends for welding, did you use a jig? One of the problems I incountered was that nobody got the camber right (0%) They're solution was to bend the axle in a press. When you talk about heat and quench, was that just the welding? Or the whole axle. Nice tig BTW..

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
straightaxlenova said:
Phil Lukens machined the king pin bosses out of 4130, and also milled the slots for the bosses in the tube. The slots were milled with an interference fit, so I tacked the bosses in place, and checked the angle with a protractor. Skip welding kept the distortion to a minimum. I am running Econoline spindles, so you need an 8 degree angle on the bosses for 0 camber. The entire axle is quenched and tempered. Er80s2 filler wire should be used for 4130 when it is subjected to heat treat. Proper preheat and postheat needs to be used when using this filler or the weld will be subject to delayed cracking.
Bill
Now for the 64 dollar question. Like to get payed to make another? I'm going to run the medlock axle, (Ive got nothing to loose, it's all done) And while this is just a street car, it will see time at the strip. I tend to drive my stuff hard, and nobody wanted to make one out of that material. So if (or when) I do I could have it in the wings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts