Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 837 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a little update. Motor and transmission finally in, clutch linkage all in and adjusted, core support cleaned, painted and installed. New radiator in and shroud trimmed a little as needed to fit, but still needs to be cleaned. Some photos for your viewing pleasure :)

And a part I tried to find for years and then wound up with 2. The core support to hood seal. I do not know if it has any useful purpose, but it is installed anyway.

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeremy it sure has been a lot of work to get it this far.

It is a 5 speed, TKO 600.

I am not sure of the application on the core support seal. I parted out lots of 4th gens, 4 doors, 2 doors, all years, models with and without AC and didn't ever see one until I bought a 76 Concours with a V8 and AC. The other one I have was in the trunk of the same car.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
That's some nice work Phillip. One question about your coil over setup; looks to me like the entire sprung weight of the car front is relying on the the two little bolts that mount the shock at it's lower part. What kind of bushing does the shock have to take that kind of weight? Also do you think that those two little bolts are enough to take the stress? I know my lower a-arms in that area aren't exactly what I would call the strongest part of the a-arm there. Enough for a lower shock mount but not enough for the entire sprung weight. Did you add any reinforcement to that area to take the weight, better hardware or anything or just stock? Just concerns me that's all.

Is that throttle cable in your video the new Lokar one wire setup? Truly drive by wire? :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Phillip, you already informed me that you used por15 on your frame. i tried it, and it didnt come out as nice and smooth and shiny as your's and then after a few days it peeled off. what did i do wrong?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Awesome

Dag Phil, I look up to you :) Seriously, where would we be without all your knowlege? I like how your setup idles nice and quiet but I bet it will scream when punched. Congratulations on the progress!

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for the compliments.

Cool you should be done just in time for the So Cal. BBQ:yes::no::rolleyes:
When is it planned for?
That's some nice work Phillip. One question about your coil over setup; looks to me like the entire sprung weight of the car front is relying on the the two little bolts that mount the shock at it's lower part. What kind of bushing does the shock have to take that kind of weight? Also do you think that those two little bolts are enough to take the stress? I know my lower a-arms in that area aren't exactly what I would call the strongest part of the a-arm there. Enough for a lower shock mount but not enough for the entire sprung weight. Did you add any reinforcement to that area to take the weight, better hardware or anything or just stock? Just concerns me that's all.

Is that throttle cable in your video the new Lokar one wire setup? Truly drive by wire? :D
The bushing in the shock is poly, the cross bar is real thick and the control arm isn't any thinner where it mounts than the area the spring seat is, but there is less surface area supporting the weight.

Phillip, you already informed me that you used por15 on your frame. i tried it, and it didnt come out as nice and smooth and shiny as your's and then after a few days it peeled off. what did i do wrong?
I blasted my frame with medium grit Black Beauty before coating. The POR 15 needs a rough surface to bond to, it will not stick to a smooth surface or other paint.

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even if there isn't a BBQ I would like to take another trip to the Littlerock area and spend a few days visiting with you and some of the other members. But first the Nova needs to be running.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Philip, the Nova looks like its coming along great and you engine sounds amazing.

The core support weather stripping, I've never even heard of it was it an extra option on the cars or did they all come standard with it? :confused: Neither of our Novas have it.

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All the core supports have the necessary holes to mount the seal and maybe more cars had them but they were removed or torn off. I really can't say which models got them and which didn't. The car this came from was a 76 Concours, V8, with A/C. I will see what plant it was built at, maybe that would be factor.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
hello

man that clutch linkage is really close to your header i hope i dont have any issues on mine are they all that close always or is that just how urs turned out ?

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It hit the pipe until an adjustment was made with a BFH. In this photo you can see the frame braket has been tweaked a little. I could wacked it again but it does clear the pipe where it is at and the rod is straight, so I called it good. The clearance you have will depend on the brand of headers installed. These are Hooker model #2451.

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today the shroud and hoses were installed and the wires run across the core support.

My focus next is on the interior. The seat and console mounts need welded to the floor and wiring for the gauges and transmission need to be run. Then I can insulate and install carpet.

1 - 20 of 837 Posts