Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently back to working on my 77 nova concours. Originally a 305 car swapped to a 350 crate motor 6 years ago. The car has been parked in my backyard for close to 5 years and just needs some love.
This build is going to be a slow process but I am going to try to take pictures along the way and show my progress.
I currently have the front end removed and plan to pull the motor, trans and subframe to give everything a nice refresh. Plans for the future include fuel injection, a manual transmission and a new paint job (inspired by philips build). The only thing I currently have to find is a set of pedals. Obviously this is challenging and I have been searching for a while. I found a set on eBay but they are currently asking $600 for the set. This is going to be a budget build and just a fun project so obviously spending $600 on pedals is out of the question unless it becomes the only option.

After beginning work last week on my car I quickly realized again how you can get caught up in the garage working on things and spend hours upon hours doing one thing.
Plans for next week is to just keep slowly making progress on removing the front end and possibly engine.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
335 Posts
12 - 14 plus years ago, a stripper fourth gen coupe, with six and three on tree could be found occasionally in the el paso (texas) yards. They've all dried up, last seven or eight cars I've seen have all been auto loaded four doors. Amazing what people discarded back then, would love to have a time machine.
$600 for a set of pedals IS excessive, have to wonder, how much effort would be needed, to adapt a set of '69 to '74 pedals? Might have a bare '75 - '79 pedal bracket, if you wish a framework to go that route.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12 - 14 plus years ago, a stripper fourth gen coupe, with six and three on tree could be found occasionally in the el paso (texas) yards. They've all dried up, last seven or eight cars I've seen have all been auto loaded four doors. Amazing what people discarded back then, would love to have a time machine.
$600 for a set of pedals IS excessive, have to wonder, how much effort would be needed, to adapt a set of '69 to '74 pedals? Might have a bare '75 - '79 pedal bracket, if you wish a framework to go that route.
I have been on a Facebook 4th gen page and some folks are saying they are making third gen pedals work. I haven’t looked too deep into that. I have been toying around with the idea of a wilwood hydraulic setup. They are fairly inexpensive and they seem pretty straight forward. Obviously I would love for someone to start reproducing them but I doubt that it gonna happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Look into using '70-81 Camaro/Firebird pedals, I believe they will slip right into your existing underdash hanger.
Been many years ago, but thet's what I remember doing.

The "68-74 Nova pedal group is the same as '67-69 Camaro

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Looks like a great deal for today! I paid $225 for mine 10 years ago. I'm sure these are more scarce today than they were then. Also, the pedals should fit into your existing hanger--you shouldn't need to change hanger. You would want to get new teflon bushings though... Think I got mine from The Parts Place.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Looks like a great deal for today! I paid $225 for mine 10 years ago. I'm sure these are more scarce today than they were then. Also, the pedals should fit into your existing hanger--you shouldn't need to change hanger. You would want to get new teflon bushings though... Think I got mine from The Parts Place.

Parts to refurbish z bar are also available--not expensive through Parts Place, Ground Up, Classic Industries, Chevy II Only.... Also for what it's worth, 3 gen Nova or 70-81 Camaro clutch pedals won't work right. Lots on here that testify to that.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Yep, it's got to be a set of '75/'79, and I think there are differences between the power brake and non-power brake setups if I recall correctly. Phillip has a post about that somewhere deep in the archvies. I shelled out $400 for mine about 8 years ago and thought it was a deal because they're so rare anymore. I'd pony up if you happen to trip over a set.

Kev

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, it's got to be a set of '75/'79, and I think there are differences between the power brake and non-power brake setups if I recall correctly. Phillip has a post about that somewhere deep in the archvies. I shelled out $400 for mine about 8 years ago and thought it was a deal because they're so rare anymore. I'd pony up if you happen to trip over a set.

Kev
I know this may be hard to believe but I just got a quote from a yard and they have a set for $150 and that supposedly includes all the hardware. I’m going to make the call tomorrow and go ahead and order the parts. If it’s legit and the correct set I may see if they have another set to help other 4th gen-ers. I may be out $200 by the time I pay for shipping. It’s such an unbelievable price I almost passed out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been slowly getting things pulled apart. Got the motor and trans pulled today. I am headed to a yard Tuesday that has a 4 door nova and I’m going to hopefully pull some parts from it. Subframe is getting pulled this week and I’m going to start cleaning up the firewall. Slow progress but, things are moving along nicely.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Subframe removed today! I’ll be stripping it and repainting everything when time allows.
I also made it to a local yard with the girlfriend and found a new grill and some wiper arms that are in a lot better shape than mine. I’m loving the progress so far!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Man, your car looks down right spotless compared to mine when I started!!! Lots of good progress there, keep on wrenching......

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,580 Posts
Hi stephensnova . . . . . good RE - build going on there .

So , your post # 10 . . . that 1st picture . . . look at where your a/c box was : there should be =
"two hidden VIN numbers" located there (looks like I can almost see one , by the (square-ish) hole .
Just info , for you ............. but your torn down that far .............

Then , here's info about 3rd gen "Hidden VIN #'s " . . . . . and , could be the same for the 75 - 79 cars .

Good reading , anyway : go to POST # 31 . . .

hidden vin# location | Page 2 | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

just FYI , if you're interested .

later , jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man, your car looks down right spotless compared to mine when I started!!! Lots of good progress there, keep on wrenching......
the car is actually in pretty good shape especially considering it came from Michigan. I did replace the floor pans (pretty poorly) when I was 18. I do have solid floors though. I plan to re-weld and seal a lot of spots on the pans that didn’t get installed that well. Progress is getting slower as my work schedule adjusts. Once I get my next promotion I’ll be working more nights and will have less time to work on things.
Thanks for the kind words!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi stephensnova . . . . . good RE - build going on there .

So , your post # 10 . . . that 1st picture . . . look at where your a/c box was : there should be =
"two hidden VIN numbers" located there (looks like I can almost see one , by the (square-ish) hole .
Just info , for you ............. but your torn down that far .............

Then , here's info about 3rd gen "Hidden VIN #'s " . . . . . and , could be the same for the 75 - 79 cars .

Good reading , anyway : go to POST # 31 . . .

hidden vin# location | Page 2 | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

just FYI , if you're interested .

later , jim
awesome! Thanks for the info. I’ll have to take a look next time I’m in the garage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts