Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using procomp cyl heads, I am looking for some inexpensive heads for a bbc. I know you get what you pay for but thease seam like a pretty good deal. I am thinking about buying the heads bare and putting name brand parts in them. Just wanted to see if anyone on this site has tried them and if they have had any problems

·
Registered
508 Posts
i have used a set of the small block heads on a customers 406 and so far so good. we bought them complete. the car is running very well and pulls hard. IMO they are the best bang for the buck. i know if you buy them bare you might need to do a little clean up on them as far as casting flaws and a little bowl work to unshroud the valve. the comlplete sets seem to have less of a problem in this area for some reason. i was expecting to do it on these but wasnt nesesary. good luck with the build.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I have a set on a new, virgin 383, that were ported by Dr. J's (Bryce is a member here) I built the engine to sell as a reasonably priced street/strip piece, but I want to either dyno it, or run it in a car first. But then I'll be trying to sell a used engine, so It's just sitting on an engine stand!
Anybody need a 500 h.p. small block?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would go with Patriot before I would go with Pro Comp. I deal with companies and engine builders in this industry and that product line causes to much grief for my customers.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I deal with companies and engine builders in this industry and that product line causes to much grief for my customers.
Some of their stuff is marginal as far as quality, but I can find people that will say the same thing about Scat, Eagle, Dart, World, etc......
The head castings from Pro Comp are as nice as the Patriots we have on another 383 that was a major disappointment; it should have made as much power with stock heads as it does with 215cc Patriots!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Don't got me started on the patriots!!!:rolleyes:

As for the Patriot heads I put my hands on?.?.?. Maybe I just got a bum set but......Their list of problems include but are not limited to:

1. Rocker studs tapped at the wrong angle so they don't seat properly or at all.
2. Not enough meat in the bowls.. The valve seats were partially uncovered.....Literally hanging into the bowl.
3. ALL of the valve locks were obviously NOT concentric. They were ALL brinelled or "Kinked" in the middle.
4. NONE of the installed heights were the same....NOT EVEN CLOSE!!
5. Their 5 angle valve job must have been the combined angles of the intake AND exhaust. You could clearly see 3 on the exhaust and 2 on the intake.
6. Neither head had the same work done in the pockets and NO two ports looked anywhere near the same. The port work looked like it was done by a middle school kid!!!
7. VERY porous casting.
8. The heads were assembled BEFORE any cleaning was done and they obviously weren't cleaned afterwards either. They were filled with chips, in the ports, pockets, guides, even a couple caught between the valves and seats. I didn't bother pulling the seals to see how much trash was under the spring cups..
9. The guide to stem clearances were all over the place ranging from .002 to .009....
10. Only ONE head came with the studs and guide plates and when they were sent back, my customer was accused of keeping them. He politely told them that's how they were right out of the box and ensured them that I've got a few sets of 3/8" and 7/16" ARP studs in the drawers so I didn't need their cheap no-name Chinese crap..
11. They took the heads back but it took almost 3 months to see any reimbursement for all of the shipping charges that total a little over $90 to and fro....

Like I said before......I'm sure they've got some decent products going out the door or else they wouldn't still be in business, but I'd rather stake my builds and reputation on a more consistent part that has BETTER Q.C.!!

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I just put a set of the bigblock procomp heads on my buddy's camaro. His motor before the head swap ran 12.26 @ 108 after the head swap it went 11.71 @ 113, this was the only change we made. I would say you can't beat them for $1000.00 assembled, there are def better heads out there if you are trying to make big power but for the avaerage guy that want's to run quick on a budget I would recomend them for sure!:yes: I think with some tunning I can get his car to run in the 11.50 range.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a slightly used set i will sell for $600+shipping.
Pro Comp BBC heads
115cc/320cc intake runners
2.250 intake valves
1.188 exhaust valves
rocker studs
guide plates
triple valve springs perfect condition ready to run!

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I just put a set of the bigblock procomp heads on my buddy's camaro. His motor before the head swap ran 12.26 @ 108 after the head swap it went 11.71 @ 113, this was the only change we made. I would say you can't beat them for $1000.00 assembled, there are def better heads out there if you are trying to make big power but for the avaerage guy that want's to run quick on a budget I would recomend them for sure!:yes: I think with some tunning I can get his car to run in the 11.50 range.
what r the specs on that engine, cam, stall, rear etc, and how do those big 320cc ports do on a street geared car?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts