Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a decently built 427 BBC. I am thinking about selling it though for a few reasons. My heads, block, and crank are all Matching numbers 427 435 hp for a 69 vette and I think I could sell those and get something bigger and better. Plus I am running hypereutectic pistons, and gm dimple rods at 10:1 comp with a 750 cfm carb. It sounds great and runs well but I was thinking I could probably piece it out and sell it and build something a better with better flowing heads, bigger carb, forged 4340 internals, H beam rods etc. I was thinking about doing a full mechanical roller N/A 496. But if I were to keep the 427 I am kind of thinking of adding nitrous or a procharger into the mix as well. I know for sure I would end up going with different heads, pistons, cam, carb, and fuel system. Ultimately I would prefer to build a new engine from scratch but I have no idea what the chances of me finding a buyer for my stuff would be right now.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Right now I have a decently built 427 BBC. I am thinking about selling it though for a few reasons. My heads, block, and crank are all Matching numbers 427 435 hp for a 69 vette and I think I could sell those and get something bigger and better. Plus I am running hypereutectic pistons, and gm dimple rods at 10:1 comp with a 750 cfm carb. It sounds great and runs well but I was thinking I could probably piece it out and sell it and build something a better with better flowing heads, bigger carb, forged 4340 internals, H beam rods etc. I was thinking about doing a full mechanical roller N/A 496. But if I were to keep the 427 I am kind of thinking of adding nitrous or a procharger into the mix as well. I know for sure I would end up going with different heads, pistons, cam, carb, and fuel system. Ultimately I would prefer to build a new engine from scratch but I have no idea what the chances of me finding a buyer for my stuff would be right now.
That would be the actual deciding factor!!:yes: Then you could figure out the budget and just how gonzo you wanted the combo to be.:devil:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had to keep my motor I would go the nitrous route

Comp Cams Xtreme Mechanical Roller Camshaft

Comp Cams Endure-X Roller Mechanical Lifters

Trick Flow Power Port or AFR Aluminum Heads

Edelbrock Victor Intake

ATI Super Street Damper

SRP Forged Pistons 11:1 Comp

Moroso Street Strip Oil Pan

Holly Cheater Nitrous System

Aeromotive A1000 Electric Fuel Pump

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
ebay or a vette forum would be your best bet to find a buyer. As far as power adder, what are your intentions for the car?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Build it aspirated! if thats not enought then slap on a plate and spray.:cool:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Looks like you've got it worked out quite nice. I would suggest looking at the Isky EZ roll lifters or the Crower Hippo's. There's been a lot of issues as of late with Comp's mechanical rollers.:yes:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is my question though if I use the 427 block which cam and victor intake would work best? I am running 4:11 gears with 11:1 comp. I am thinking a victor Jr 454 with the 1st cam below

Lift: .660''/.666''
Duration: 292°/298°
RPM Range: 3200-7200

Lift: .653''/.660''
Duration: 286°/292°
RPM Range: 3000-7000

Lift: .646''/.653''
Duration: 280°/286°
RPM Range: 2500-6500

Also which heads? I am leaning towards the Trick Flow because the AFR may be a little too big?

Here are the AFR Head Specs
BB-Chevy Magnum Cylinder Head
305cc Intake Ports
''As Cast'' w/Parts
119cc Combustion Chambers
1.625'' Dual Valve Spring with dampner
255 lbs. Seat Pressure
.750'' Max Lift

Trick Flow Specs

Combustion Chamber Volume (cc): 113
CNC-Machined Combustion Chamber: No
Intake Runner Volume (cc): 280cc
Exhaust Runner Volume (cc): 137cc
Combustion Chamber Style: Open chamber
Intake Port Shape: Oval
Intake Valve Diameter (in): 2.190 in.
Exhaust Valves Included: Yes
Exhaust Valve Diameter (in): 1.880 in.
Valve Springs Included: Yes
Maximum Valve Lift (in): 0.700 in.
Outside Diameter of Outer Spring (in): 1.530 in.
Damper Spring Included: Yes
Number of Springs Per Valve: Dual
Retainers Included: Yes

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think the 1st cam and victor jr 454 would be fine and for the heads I would say Trick flow. It should be a pretty stout power plant. I agree with D-Man look at isky for roller lifters. The motor being N/A will have more power than you even need for the street so I would just take the nitrous route too for the track.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The first cam you listed would work perfect with your rear gears, and the AFR heads would be just what the doctor ordered. I have a set of their 210 Comp. Ported heads on my 383 SBC solid roller with a very, very similar cam/same gears, and man, she screams. I used the Crower HIPPO lifters, and haven't had a problem yet.

I agree to build N/A, but I've always wanted to build a procharged setup, but never liked the thought that if I were to take it off, all my power would go away.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
What are the REST of the cam specs. Just going off the advertised duration and lift really doesn't tell you that much about the cam.:no:

Both of the heads you have selected are NICE..:yes: But you're really comparing apples to oranges because the AFR's are rectangular ports and the Trick Flow's are large ovals.
Whether you intended to do anything to the heads or run them right outta the box would be one of the deciding factors there. Also if you want to leave yourself room to grow down the road.:yes: That by itself would lean me towards the AFR's. Especially if a 496 is in your possible future.:devil: The stroker kit costs less than the heads!!:yes::poke::poke:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as the heads probably just straight out of the box for now.

Here are the cam specs

Operating Range: 3200-7200 RPM
Duration Advertised: 292° Intake / 298° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 254° Intake / 260° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.7 Rockers: .660'' Intake / .666'' Exhaust
Valve Setting: .016'' Intake / .018'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 110°

These are the specs for the stock heads I have now

3964291 396/402/427/454 69-70 2.19/1.88 108cc L-78/L-71/L-72/LS-6 Rectangular port 325cc intake

Right Head Casting Code: 3964291

Date Code F39: July 3rd 1969

GM4T

Left Head Casting Code: 3964291

Left Head Date Code: F49 July 4th 1969

GM3T

Also the carb is a 750 cfm so I am thinking I should probably step that up as well.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
As far as the heads probably just straight out of the box for now.

Here are the cam specs

Operating Range: 3200-7200 RPM
Duration Advertised: 292° Intake / 298° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 254° Intake / 260° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.7 Rockers: .660'' Intake / .666'' Exhaust
Valve Setting: .016'' Intake / .018'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 110°

These are the specs for the stock heads I have now

3964291 396/402/427/454 69-70 2.19/1.88 108cc L-78/L-71/L-72/LS-6 Rectangular port 325cc intake

Right Head Casting Code: 3964291

Date Code F39: July 3rd 1969

GM4T

Left Head Casting Code: 3964291

Left Head Date Code: F49 July 4th 1969

GM3T

Also the carb is a 750 cfm so I am thinking I should probably step that up as well.
Who's cam is that? With 38* of hydraulic intensity the lobes look pretty tame.:D

I would suggest looking at the AFR, Dart and Trick Flow 325's.:yes: Same size runners you have now but with a LOT more flow. Especially with the AFR's!! For the Money, the fully CNC'd Canfield 320's are pretty tough to beat!!

Yeah, I'd suggest at least a HP 950, if not a Dominator from a good carb shop.:yes: Once that thing's together it's gonna have a healthy appetite and move a LOT of air!! Especially up stairs in the power band.:devil:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Who's cam is that? With 38* of hydraulic intensity the lobes look pretty tame.:D

I would suggest looking at the AFR, Dart and Trick Flow 325's.:yes: Same size runners you have now but with a LOT more flow. Especially with the AFR's!! For the Money, the fully CNC'd Canfield 320's are pretty tough to beat!!

Yeah, I'd suggest at least a HP 950, if not a Dominator from a good carb shop.:yes: Once that thing's together it's gonna have a healthy appetite and move a LOT of air!! Especially up stairs in the power band.:devil:
I thought 325's would be too big for it though? So in your opinion would you do the heads or the stroker kit? If I did the stroker kit there is a good chance I could find a buyer for the heads and make enough to go buy a set

Brand: COMP Cams
Product Line: COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts
Part Type: Camshafts
Part Number: CCA-11-773-8
Cam Style: Mechanical roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 3,200-7,200
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 254
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 260
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 254 int./260 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 292
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 298
Advertised Duration: 292 int./298 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.660 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.666 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.660 int./0.666 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110
Intake Valve Lash: 0.016 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.018 in.
Computer-Controlled Compatible: No
Grind Number: CB XR292 R-10
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Requires thrust button and wear plate.

Camshaft, Mechanical Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 292/298, Lift .660/.666, Chevy, Big Block, Each

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
STROKE IT!!!! Then sell your heads for the extra change to get a new set of aftermarket aluminum heads!! With your 427, getting the compression back up with aftermarket heads is gonna be tough.:yes: 108cc vs. 119cc. Plus, if you're running the old TRW forged pistons in there now, there's not gonna be a lot of valve clearance for the bigger cam either.

Going with a stroker kit, you're starting over with a clean slate. Better pistons (With DEEP valve reliefs) and a lot better rods are just icing on the cake.

There's also a 99% chance your factory crank is steel as well so it might net you a few extra $$ to go back into the build.

And believe me.....a 9:1 427 will never compare to a 10.5-11:1 496....:no: Not unless the 427 gets some help from some form of power adder!!

Oh yeah....There's a LOT better cam grinds out there..
Like this:
# Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 285/293
# Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 255/263
# Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .680/.680
# LSA/ICL: 110/106
# Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .018/.018
# RPM Range: 3000-7200

Note the smaller advertised but MORE .050" duration and more lift!!
Part #60234

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
STROKE IT!!!! Then sell your heads for the extra change to get a new set of aftermarket aluminum heads!! With your 427, getting the compression back up with aftermarket heads is gonna be tough.:yes: 108cc vs. 119cc. Plus, if you're running the old TRW forged pistons in there now, there's not gonna be a lot of valve clearance for the bigger cam either.

Going with a stroker kit, you're starting over with a clean slate. Better pistons (With DEEP valve reliefs) and a lot better rods are just icing on the cake.

There's also a 99% chance your factory crank is steel as well so it might net you a few extra $$ to go back into the build.

And believe me.....a 9:1 427 will never compare to a 10.5-11:1 496....:no: Not unless the 427 gets some help from some form of power adder!!

Oh yeah....There's a LOT better cam grinds out there..
Like this:
# Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 285/293
# Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 255/263
# Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .680/.680
# LSA/ICL: 110/106
# Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .018/.018
# RPM Range: 3000-7200

Note the smaller advertised but MORE .050" duration and more lift!!
Part #60234
Sounds like a plan! What cam is that? Yes the crank is a factory forged steel. Also for a stroker kit do you have anything you want to recommend?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Sounds like a plan! What cam is that? Yes the crank is a factory forged steel. Also for a stroker kit do you have anything you want to recommend?

Here ya go....
http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1005

The AFR 325's, Trick Flow 320's or Dart Pro 1 325's would top it off nicely!! Unless you've got a little more to spend. Then you could start looking at all of the numerous fully CNC'd options available.:yes::devil:

Just do yourself a favor and make sure you're got a complete build plan before you start buying parts. Different chamber shapes and sizes require different pistons with different dome shapes and valve relief angles.

With the cam I listed above (it's the Voodoo Part #60234) that package would make for an extreme ride!!! Probably about a 4500-4800 converter would be about right.:D

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here ya go....
http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1005

The AFR 325's, Trick Flow 320's or Dart Pro 1 325's would top it off nicely!! Unless you've got a little more to spend. Then you could start looking at all of the numerous fully CNC'd options available.:yes::devil:

Just do yourself a favor and make sure you're got a complete build plan before you start buying parts. Different chamber shapes and sizes require different pistons with different dome shapes and valve relief angles.

With the cam I listed above (it's the Voodoo Part #60234) that package would make for an extreme ride!!! Probably about a 4500-4800 converter would be about right.:D
It's a 4 speed :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts