Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am putting a pro charger on the 383 in my nova. i need to know whats the best blow through carb. i wanna try and use the edelbrock i have now but i dont think it will work. by the way i do have solid floats for it. but pro charger told me that a 650 would be perfect for me but what carb and where do i get it from? i see demon has one are they any good or will i end up going with a holley? help lots of help needed!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Don't waste your time with a Demon carb. You might pay a little more up front for a CSU carb, but in the long run you'll be better off. I know alot of guys, including myself, run the CSU carb with great results. Your looking at about $1000.00 bucks to get into one. Just remember, you get what you pay for. And when your under boost, you want a proven performer.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Running a cooler really all depends on what your trying to do. If its gonna be an air to air, I'd say don't waste your time. As far as a fuel pump, I would recommend a good electrical pump. You need to figure out the ammount of fuel volume your gonna need under boost, and make sure the pump can feed it. Your gonna be referencing fuel at a ratio of 1:1 and the pumps gonna need to be able to keep up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, ya it may not be worth my time. i was plaining on putting a fuel cooler in. but do i need a serge valve or those valves they put on the intake tube? what do they do? what else would be a good idea for a blower? i see people have those remote crankcase breathers do i need one?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Serge valves are never a bad idea its good insurance and also the intercooler depends on the amount of boost and power you want/ Go with a C&S carb and aeromotive makes some killer fuel pumps and accessories

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
ok, ya it may not be worth my time. i was plaining on putting a fuel cooler in. but do i need a serge valve or those valves they put on the intake tube? what do they do? what else would be a good idea for a blower? i see people have those remote crankcase breathers do i need one?
From the sound of it, you might want to study up on superchargers. You don't want to spend good money after bad. What size supercharger are you planning to run? How much boost? What HP or performance are you looking for? You must run a surge valve (BOV) of some kind. When your creating boost in the intake tube and you close the throttle, that boost has to go somewhere. That's the function of the BOV. I think you would be better off trying to cool the air going into the inlet of the blower as opposed to trying to cool the fuel. A meth/alky injection system is also an option. That will cool the intake charge and raise the octane of the fuel. Do yourself a favor and do alot of research. Ask alot of questions, you can't go wrong doing that.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
What compression are you running? That's a chunk of change to spend for 5 or 6 pounds of boost. That's not much HP. They are probably talking about a D1SC. I ran a D1SC with a hyd. roller, A/C, and an overdrive tranny. Those are very streetable and I really enjoyed that blower. I made 698 rwhp with that setup running 18 lbs. of boost. That was with meth injection and no intercooler. You could make 500 hp without much effort at all.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
From the sound of it, you might want to study up on superchargers. You don't want to spend good money after bad. What size supercharger are you planning to run? How much boost? What HP or performance are you looking for? You must run a surge valve (BOV) of some kind. When your creating boost in the intake tube and you close the throttle, that boost has to go somewhere. That's the function of the BOV. I think you would be better off trying to cool the air going into the inlet of the blower as opposed to trying to cool the fuel. A meth/alky injection system is also an option. That will cool the intake charge and raise the octane of the fuel. Do yourself a favor and do alot of research. Ask alot of questions, you can't go wrong doing that.
What compression are you running? That's a chunk of change to spend for 5 or 6 pounds of boost. That's not much HP. They are probably talking about a D1SC. I ran a D1SC with a hyd. roller, A/C, and an overdrive tranny. Those are very streetable and I really enjoyed that blower. I made 698 rwhp with that setup running 18 lbs. of boost. That was with meth injection and no intercooler. You could make 500 hp without much effort at all.
just get a f2 and push 25-30 lbs of boost threw it ..trust me youll thank me later..lol:yes:

hi sheldon.

you need one of these...hp 850- powder coated..very nice

I'd listen to these guys...the have been there and done that. When I had my Nova I got a lot of useful info from both Sheldon and Jay.

Hi guys...miss me!!!?:D

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
just get a f2 and push 25-30 lbs of boost threw it ..trust me youll thank me later..lol:yes:

hi sheldon.
What's up Jay. Those words are ones to live by. :D I should have listened to you in the first place.

You know we miss you Scott.:yes:

thefloyd1973, we are just trying to save you some money, time, and aggrevation. Have you checked prices on EFI? I also thought about the EFI system you talked about. You may want to check around and see if there is someone that is familiar with it. You want a system that you or someone else can tune. There are so many options for what you want to do. I would first, set a realistic budget. Then see what things will fall in that range. Blowthru will be less expensive. We also talked about bumping up to all that HP. You need to make sure, the rest of your drivetrain can handle it. Any weak part, will not make it. Period.:no:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the compression is 9.9:1 with cast iron heads. i dont like nos and i dont wanna rip down the motor because it runs great. im willing to put the money into it plus it has that cool factor. yes the d1sc is the one procharger told me to get. they told me with my compression i should run only about 6 pounds of boost. where do you get meth injection? how does it work? does it cost much?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I vote for csu as well. kevin is redoing my 850 right now for a my N/A motor and also building a complete 750 blow thru carb for a friend with a procharged ls motor. very nice friendly knowledgeable guy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
BOV's are not really "loud" they just relieve air pressure when its not needed.

9.9 with steel heads is kinda pushing it w/o a cooler, guess thats why Procharger recommened 5-6 PSI. Like the other guys stated before, theres a tad bit more to it than just bolting on a blower. You really should think about what your goals are with the car, and build from there. When you consider a blower, you have to consider every week link in the drivetrain as well. We all hate spending our hard earned money, just to spend it again on something we didn't do right the first time. There are a number of guys on here, including myself, that would be more than willing to help you out. Take a look at what you have now, what your plans are for the car and I'm sure we could help steer you in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts