Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my procharged 540 together, test fitting the blower and doing some break-in miles on motor alone 1st. Everything fit, lined up, and mounted, will post some pics. on Monday. Only 2 small issues...1st: I am using a set of 427 closed chamber Corvette heads, went to mount the blower bracket and the bolts were too big, couldn't figure it out, fought it for probably an hour. Finally noticed the tapped holes on one end of the head are 7/16" and tapped holes on the other end of the head are 3/8." Just my luck the heads are mirrored, so drilled and tapped the 3/8" up to the 7/16" and all is good now. Anyone else ever seen this? Motor guy (who is very experienced) said he had never seen or heard of this before.

Now, the real question. I have to get a water pump and am debating. I can use a std. short neck pump, mount the pulley to it and run the blower belt across it to power the waterpump. My other option is to go with an electric water pump, no pulley and shorter blower belt. Either way is workable for me. My ? is, I notice most electric pumps flow upwards of 30+ GPM whereas a std. mechanical is about 15-18. Is the electric going to flow too much too fast and not allow the water to cool or am I better off with the lower flowing mechanical to allow proper cooling from slower flow. I know this has been discussed in other threads but never a convincing answer and just theory talk. Any real world opinions?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe the mechanical pumps flow more volume then the electric. I'm running the cheap proform on my sbc w/ F1r and it's suffcient. I think it's meizere that now has a 55gpm which will be my next upgrade. My car has run a worst of about 210 while driving. It will actually run cooler at idle due to the blower creates heat as I drive it. An intercooler would probably solve that.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Had the same issue with the assy bolts, the pass front and drivers rear are tapped for 7/16 on the outer bolts, the rest are 3/8. I just tapped mine for the blower mount also.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My intercooler is mounted and takes up probably the lower 1/4 of my radiator but it is the 33" BeCool with dual 3500 fans so I hoping that will overcome the intercooler. I am thinking I will just start with a good flowing mechanical and see how it does, if I can get 210 in traffic I will be more than happy.

Strange problem with the heads, I can't figure why there are 2 different tapped holes when ordering a head nothing specifies a left or right head. Hope this might save someone from the same issue, although it isn't a big problem, just had to stare at it for a while.

I will put some pics. up tomorrow when I get them downloaded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts