Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1963 Nova Convertible with a 350 and a power glide. I bought the car 2 years ago. It already had a CPP front disk brake kit installed. I bought the CPP power steering kit. I had to grind down the frame rail a little to get the pitman arm to clear the lip on the frame. After everything being installed, the only issue I had was that I wasn’t able to turn very far to the left. I had to make 2 point turns into parking spots when I turned in left. Turning right was perfect. I purchased the mini sub kit not long after. So I have a 400 series steering box, a new pitman arm, a new center link, the deluxe idler arm, new tie rods, and the mini sub kit with the uppers. I took the car into get aligned on Monday and the mechanic said what I had thought. Something isn’t right with the steering box or I have the wrong pitman arm is installed. I know that the pitman arm can’t be keyed on wrong because it only fits on every 90 degrees. If it was keyed any other way, it wouldn’t be able to connect the center link. I have centered the steering box as well. At this point I’m at a loss of what to do. This last weekend at Hot August Nights a guy with a 64 said he needed to shorten the tie rods to get everything to work. I have seen that some guys on the forum have had some issues with CPP steering boxes in the past and they had to be replaced. I’m trying to problem solve my way through everything first before I have to send back the steering box. Of course CPP isn’t very much help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
How many turns from full lock left to full lock right?

How many turns from center to full lock left?

How many turns from center to full lock right?

Is the steering box locking up inturnally on one or both full lock scenarios?
Is there an external impedimen or is it on the steering stops in one or both situations?

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is possible that the center drag link is in wrong ? Someone I knew did that with his Chevelle and had issues turning. When he put it the other way it was good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts