Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought a 72 in October of last year. I didn't drive it much since then, finishing the body work.

the suspension has me worried. When I turn a corner, I hear clunking noises and sometimes feel the clunking. Hard to descxribe. The ride is very rough. What I know is that he has hotchkis sport springs..I believe lowering. He, previous owner, says the suspension was rebuilt. I think I want to rebuild it again to make sure it's done right. I also want to make it a disc set up at the same time.

I'm looking for input as to a kit that will give me a smoother ride, less clunking, but still be stiff for an occasional trip to the track.

TIA

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Have you checked the upper and lower ball joints?They make a clunking sound when they go bad:yes:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I would put it up on stands and do some serious checking on the suspension & brake system. I can always deal with a car that quits running, but when I'm driving it and the steering comes apart or the brakes don't work it a problem!!:eek:

Better safe than sorry, or in the hospital.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Everytime I get a new car, I pull the whole front end apart and check everything, some things are hidden..

I'm thinking one of the spring tails isn't seated..

Pull the shocks, run a piece of 3/8" or bigger all thread through the holes with nuts and washers, pop a ball joint and slowly loosen one of the nuts to relieve the spring pressure..

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Your noise sounds like it could be bad control arm bushings.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Well, I've decided to replace all the body mounts and all the bushings in the front end. I want some good stuff to begin with. I'll also be putting new wheels and tires, so prob will do a disc conversion this winter. Thank goodness the garage is warmer...
Hey I was checking out your Photobucket. Nice job on the paintwork !! :thumbup: Is that SS black or did you bc/cc?

I have heard that once you replace body mounts sometimes you have to realign the fenders etc. I shoulda changed mine out when I had the front clip off... Live n learn

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's bc/cc....a buddy of mine did the job. I'm happy with it.

If I have to realign the fenders, I don't mind. I've been thinking of taking hood/fenders off because I want to make sure the cowl is sealed up properly. I haven't installed the kick panels yet and if I wash the car, water comes in the cowl area. Just want to make sure I didn't over look something.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I'm almost a little embarassed to say this, but I found the problem.

If you remember, I bought the car with being told that the suspension had been rebuilt. Well, it was. All the bushings are good, the ball joints good, etc.

Can you believe that the subframe bolts were finger tight?????? I couldn't believe it.

Well, now they are all tightened up, and no more clunking! It rides better, handles better, and the front end is even sitting a little higher.

Ok, let the ribbing begin...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

If you remember, I bought the car with being told that the suspension had been rebuilt. Well, it was. All the bushings are good, the ball joints good, etc.

Can you believe that the subframe bolts were finger tight?????? I couldn't believe it.

Well, now they are all tightened up, and no more clunking! It rides better, handles better, and the front end is even sitting a little higher.

I'll let Homer Simpson say it...

:doh:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Well, you should Thank God that you did find it, now.... go over the rest of the car :yes:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts

If it makes you feel better, after I reassembled my car, I never thought to check the rear end mounting perches. Well the rear end spun and the car jumped when I first let the clutch out to roll the car. After putting it back in the garage and undoing the U bolts to weld the perches, I had my head in the rear wheel well lifting the rear end, it came up all right, right into my face breaking my nose!:eek::eek:

I think we've all had a not so proud moment during our restos!:D

Glad you sorted it out though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts