Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im finishing up the restoration on my 70 ss and was wondering if anyone has run across the same problem i have.
i replaced the under wire harness on my car with very nice correct harness from lectric limited. i also at the time replaced the voltage regulator with a new one from them. the battery is not charging and the generator light would not come so i called the tech person there he guided me through the diag and everything checked ok.finally i tried an old regulator its now charging. they wouldnt warranty it so i bought a nos one from a guy on ebay ( these were advertised as nos standard, aftermarket etc) the first one i received i installed and the generator light now works and goes out once engine is running but still isnt charging the battery. so he sent me another. same problem. thats 3 regulators. i put the old one back on and it works as it should. all 3 inop regulators look new and made in usa. anyone ran into this problem?

·
6,589 Posts
Anyone ran into this problem ?
Not with voltage regulators but with horn relay/key buzzers :mad:

I've been in the electronics industry since the 70's and while I would love to tell you everything I have ever bought new worked fine right out of the box, I would be lying.

Since you got it working with your old one, is it possible when you plugged the others in, one or more of the terminals did not seat properly in the connector ?. I've had this happen before once in a blue moon with aftermarket radio harness adaptors.

If there is nothing electrically wrong with the regulator that works now but you want to make it nicer, you can detail it out like the original one on my 68:

In the below album showing the refinishing of my regulator if you have the mechanical style points inside, you may want to clean the points and then if you are not getting enough or too much voltage, mine has an adjuster inside but you have to be careful adjusting them. Whomever had my car before "adjusted" it and found out I had way too much voltage and it's probably the reason I had super bright lighting and a burn't out Sony Radio.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157644150395268/with/14151406323/

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts