Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1977 nova last year. The car has a push button start in it. The botton stopped working so i tried to replace it. When i hooked up the new button the car would start and run.... UNTIL I let go of the button. So after talked with a friend of mine we decided to try to eliminate the button and go back to a key start. I have changed the ignition switch nothing.

I have no clue why the guy who sold me the car put the push button in... Im assumeing not just for the fun of it. :D

On the fuse box there is a plug on it that says IGN. I'm assuming ignition. Nothing is hooked up to it though..... Where does this wire need to come from?

If anyone can give me pointers on getting the car to start either going back to a push button or getting the key going it would make me a very happy camper. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Chevys usually have a purple wire going from the ignition to the starter and sometimes get burnt from the exaust. Put a volt tester to this wire at the ignition and move towards the starter until you loose power and you may be able to find the source of the problem. I am no electical expert but I had the same problem on my 63 nova but found it was a problem with a shunt on the core support that is needed for a SS guage cluster. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts