Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question. I just got done putting a SSBCmanual disc brake setup on my 66 nova. It stops very well...... but during full on panic stops the engine will stall. I have a 01850 (600 vac) Holley carb w/ 283 V8, small cam that pulls 15in. of vacuum at idle in park (1000 RPM). I've got a vacuum advance mallory unilite. I'm wondering if gas could be sloshing in the bowl and causing the stalling, Note: Im just guessing the carb may be the problem since the car stops quicker now than it did with the drum brakes. And it NEVER had this stalling problem until I put the discs on it. Oh, and the floats are set to a little below the sight plugs. Ideas?

Thanks
Mike Maxwell

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Did you have power brakes? Thinking outside the box, sometimes brake boosters can develop vacuum leaks that are only exposed under hard braking, and then your engine would be sucking air brake booster vacuum line, and would run lean and could stall. Just something to think about if nothing else works.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If your 283 is idling at 1000 rpm you either have a pretty big cam in it or the the carb and maybe the ignition needs some adjusting. With a mild cam you should be able to get that engine idling much lower. I think it is stalling because of base idle adjustment problems. When you slam on the brakes does it feel like you are loosing some assit from the booster before it stalls. If you have a vacuum leak the pedal will firm up because of the lack of vacuum.

Just like novanate asked, did you have power brakes before?

Did the engine idle change at all after you installed the booster?

Is is it a new booster or used?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Is it an auto or manual? If it is an auto you could have the wrong convertor or a bad one. The higher your idle the more load your engine will see. Hard braking will load it up quick.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. The car was (and still is) a manual brake car...there is no booster. The 283 has a cam. Its a 450 lift, 292 duration. With the idle set at 1000 in park, it idles at about 650 in drive. It has a TH350with a stock converter. Timing is 10-12 base. The distributors vacuum advance is adjustable. It stalls just as the car comes to a stop, its like the idle drops below normal then the engine dies.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joe. It restarts fine. This is with a half tank of gas. I'm guessing that its starving for gas during the stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts