Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I'm planning to switch to E85 for next season and I was recommended to go with the Pro-Systems SV1 carb.

Has anyone got any experiences with that kind of carb?

greets
carl

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
i haven't tried one so i'm not qualified to comment - search for it on yellowbullet and you will have a lot of reading to do...

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i was at my friends shop real late trying to get one to work on a 598 ,, we swapped a 1250 on it and picked up a good amount

some people swear by them ,,, i'd like to know what specific problem they're suppose to fix ,

i think 2 of 'em sideways on a TR might work better than one mounted on a single plane ,, the cyls were not even close by exhaust temp readings ,,, i have to wonder if that big throttle blade would feed more even if it slpit the plenum how it would be if it was mounted sideways

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
What engine combo is this going on?

Honestly if you are going E85, I would look elsewhere. My first choice would be Eric at Horsepower Innovations. E85 is not like gas or alcohol and requires a completely different setup.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
plan is:

- 434 cui, 13,5:1
- pro-topline 14* alu heads, diamond pistons
- cam ist tbd
- e85 pump gas

I've read a bunch of comments in the internet, mostly they are extreme positive. mmmhhhh...??

greets
carl

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Carl go over on YellowBullet and talk to Robert Strong. He has an 1987 Monte Carlo with an LSX and 2 SV1's. Think he runs Q16 race gas though.

:devil:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I tried a SV1 on my 540. This is my story on this carb. My car would run 9.60 and I wanted to run in the 9.50 index. I tried cam timing gears in the trans all kinds of things but it just wouldnt go 9.50. Thought about changing over to alcohal. It probly would have worked. Also Q16 with the right jetting would have worked. But I decided to try a SV1. I burned 6 5gal palls of c14 and alot of tunning on this carb. Air bleeds jets all kinds of things. With the help of patrick. The car slowed down 2 tenths and I couldnt get it back. I put my old Pro systems 1200 on the car and it picked it back up. I realy dont think it was the carb. I realy think it was my combination. The way the cam was ground maybe not enough signel on the carb. I dont know? But I can tell you I am a pro system coustmer for life. Patrick builds quality stuff. Great coustomer service. I have talked to people that had great exparence with the SV1. They do work well with NOS. I currently have 2 1050s on my car and will run well into the low 9.s . Well good luck with your progect, :)

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I tried a SV1 on my 540. This is my story on this carb. My car would run 9.60 and I wanted to run in the 9.50 index. I tried cam timing gears in the trans all kinds of things but it just wouldnt go 9.50. Thought about changing over to alcohal. It probly would have worked. Also Q16 with the right jetting would have worked. But I decided to try a SV1. I burned 6 5gal palls of c14 and alot of tunning on this carb. Air bleeds jets all kinds of things. With the help of patrick. The car slowed down 2 tenths and I couldnt get it back. I put my old Pro systems 1200 on the car and it picked it back up. I realy dont think it was the carb. I realy think it was my combination. The way the cam was ground maybe not enough signel on the carb. I dont know? But I can tell you I am a pro system coustmer for life. Patrick builds quality stuff. Great coustomer service. I have talked to people that had great exparence with the SV1. They do work well with NOS. I currently have 2 1050s on my car and will run well into the low 9.s . Well good luck with your progect, :)
There definitely is something to this. I know of some combos that the carb worked fine on, and others that just flat out did not work. Like the shop I worked at, they tried it on one engine and just could not get it right. But a dominator body worked perfect.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I still think that going to Pro Systems for an E85 carb is like buying tires at Home Depot. If you want an E85 carb that works the 1st time, I would go to a true E85 carb builder. Do yourself a favor and at least pick up the phone and call Eric at Horsepower Innovations. If you aren't confident in what he has to say, then by all means call another builder. Regardless of what you decide to do, call around to some of the different builders, but certainly look at someone who specializes in E85, not gas or alcohol.

http://www.horsepowerinnovations.com/concrete/

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I don't know about the SV-1 but I can tell you that Pro Systems has the best "bolt on - ready to go" carbs and customer service there is. You can't go wrong and you won't be disappointed dealing with them.

Oh and the "Home Depot" reference is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Total B.S.! Just sounds like someone pushing their product.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I still think that going to Pro Systems for an E85 carb is like buying tires at Home Depot. If you want an E85 carb that works the 1st time, I would go to a true E85 carb builder. Do yourself a favor and at least pick up the phone and call Eric at Horsepower Innovations. If you aren't confident in what he has to say, then by all means call another builder. Regardless of what you decide to do, call around to some of the different builders, but certainly look at someone who specializes in E85, not gas or alcohol.

http://www.horsepowerinnovations.com/concrete/
He has some nice pieces over there.:yes:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
plan is:

- 434 cui, 13,5:1
- pro-topline 14* alu heads, diamond pistons
- cam ist tbd
- e85 pump gas

I've read a bunch of comments in the internet, mostly they are extreme positive. mmmhhhh...??

greets
carl
i've saw 780 hp with a similar combo ,, with a 950 holley - 1.420 venturi , 268/274 @ .050 cam ,. 109 lsa 750 lift , 15-1

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Oh and the "Home Depot" reference is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Total B.S.! Just sounds like someone pushing their product.
I've never run a Pro Systems carb. I'm sure they are a good carb, and a lot of people like the customer service, but your statement regarding them being the best, is something that you nor anyone can substantiate. There are all sorts of companies that people could argue are the best. Companies such as BLP, Rupert, APD, Book, Braswell...The list goes on. If you think Pro Systems is the ONLY carb that performs, you are certainly being short sighted.

Now, the statement about Home Depot being the most ridiculous you have ever heard indicates you know very little about E85. An E85 carb is nothing like a gas carb, or a alcohol carb. If I'm looking for a gas carb, I'm going to a builder who SPECIALIZES in gas carbs. If it's an alcohol carb, I'm going to a builder who specializes in them. The same holds true for E85. If the OP were asking about a gas carb, I would NOT recommend Horsepower Innovations as Eric doesn't specialize in gas. It's pretty simple if you think about it.

The OP can choose to purchase a carb from whomever he feels confident in. I have no affiliation to Horsepower Innovations. I run one of Eric's carbs and can attest to the quality, performance and service. He ONLY does E85 which makes it his specialty.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

ok, thank you very much for all the comments and the Horsepower Innovation link. my engine builder will test the SV1 on the dyno and compare it with a custom 4150 E85 carb from APD. I'm very curious about the outcome....I'll keep you posted.

greets
carl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts