Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...

I purchased a Checkered Racing 4 link clip that is 24" from inside of one frame rail to the inside of the other frame rail.

I will be running a 15x14 wheel with 3.5BS and a 29x18 Tire.

I am looking to get a narrowed Ford 9 Inch rear and need to know what size it should be from flange to flange, as well as what bolt pattern should I go with in order to have the largest selection of wheels to choose from.

Also do I need a pinion off set? If so what should it be?

Any help would be wonderful!

-John

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
The certain way to do this is to get your wheels & tires you want to use, and put them up under the car so they are about at whatever ride height you will end up with. Put blocks or something under the tires/wheels to hold them up in the wheelwell. Get them positioned so they are centered between your wheelwell lip and the frame rail. Measure mounting surface to mounting surface and that's how wide your rearend width needs to be with brakes, axles, etc. A lot of people try to approach it backwards (wheels/tires last). I'm running 15 x 15 rims with a 6 1/8th backspace & a 29 x 18.5 tire for example

Early Nova's have the drivetrain offset to the passenger side, including the pinion. When I had Scribner build mine, he included the offset so everything is aligned correctly. It helps that he has a couple Nova's so knows exactly what little quirks you run into with these cars.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thats exactly what I did too. put the tires and wheels up under the car on blocks. then I put a lawn chair 15 feet behind my car and just sat there and looked at it :D .. alot easier to measure that way alot less room for error!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts