Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
The person that owns that company, a Czeck named Peter, also owns Sydney Speed and Marine, another business most Australians and New Zealanders will no longer deal with. He has approached me to handle his line of knock off parts, and I, as conciencious other business owners have also done, declined.

Peter's only interests are flooding the market with low priced knockoffs with the direct intention of putting other reputable small businesses OUT of business, and not warranteeing failed/defective parts.

Even the name "Pro-Comp" was intended to target those who were looking for a specialty part from the company Pro-Form. Peter figured that was worth a 50/50 chance of getting potential customers to him, instead of Pro-Form. If you only know a product has a name with the word Pro in it, you have a 50/50 chance of landing on Pro-Comp, not the other guy's product sites, Pro-Form.

I have a friend that owns a major rebuilding house for electrical and water parts for cars. He got involved with Peter's products, and in record time, uninvolved with them. My friend actually found the factory in China that makes Peter's parts, ONLY Peter's parts, as nobody else will use that factory for any of their parts production. Peter advertizes his products are manufactured in Australia, not so.

PLEASE do not think this is a flame post, it isn't, Just call it what it really is, a very serious Public Service Message.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Is this the same Pro Comp that makes all the off-road truck parts? There's a chain of off road truck stores named 4 Wheel Parts that carries tons of Pro Comp parts such as lights, shocks, grill guards, batteries, wheels, tires, etc., etc. You can see it here: http://4wheelparts.com/4wp/index.asp. It's been around quite awhile and since it's such a different product line I wonder if they are two different companies. This Pro Comp truck stuff doesn't seem too bad.

As for the car parts discussed in this thread, I recently considered buying a set of fabricated aluminum valve covers on ebay that are made by Pro Comp. They're about $100, which is so much cheaper than anything else available that I decided there must be something not right about them. Granted, a set of valve covers isn't a moving part in an engine that sees a lot of stress, but they could still be cheaply made and possibly leak. Glad I stayed away.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
JTW said:
Is this the same Pro Comp that makes all the off-road truck parts? There's a chain of off road truck stores named 4 Wheel Parts that carries tons of Pro Comp parts such as lights, shocks, grill guards, batteries, wheels, tires, etc., etc. You can see it here: http://4wheelparts.com/4wp/index.asp. It's been around quite awhile and since it's such a different product line I wonder if they are two different companies. This Pro Comp truck stuff doesn't seem too bad.
Im pretty sure the truck company is a completely different company. Im sorry I should have written the whole name of the company which is Procomp Electronics.

As for the car parts discussed in this thread, I recently considered buying a set of fabricated aluminum valve covers on ebay that are made by Pro Comp. They're about $100, which is so much cheaper than anything else available that I decided there must be something not right about them. Granted, a set of valve covers isn't a moving part in an engine that sees a lot of stress, but they could still be cheaply made and possibly leak. Glad I stayed away.
Yeah I almost bought a set of those heads one ebay except the auction listed them as superflow heads but I found out now its the same as Procomp. I guess my gut feeling was right since I heard from another site of the valve seats or valves were falling right out of the heads.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Personal experience here! i bought a timing chain for a big block (big mistake) and when i installed it the chain was so loose i figured it had an extra link in it?
So i returned it and asked for the set to be exchanged for another (bigger mistake) i got the next set installed and it was the same problem .I guess the chinese just dont give a sh!t about anything they make.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Question: If everybody stopped buying cheap parts, how long would it take before these parts had good quality control? The problem here is that everybody wants something for nothing. If you are too cheap to pay for quality, then should you be complaining when you don't get quality? You got what you paid for.

FYI: My girlfriend is Chinese, born and raised. She will not buy "Made in China" products here. Why? Because the American public is so obsessed with low cost, that they will accept poor quality to save a buck.

On another note: You can get inferior products made in any country, including the USA.

If you want quality products, pay for it. Don't complain that the cheap piece of crap you bought is a cheap piece of crap. If you demand quality, then you don't give businesses who want to cut corners a market.

Overseas workers want a job, just like you do. They just do what the boss tells them to do, just like you do. When you buy a product with inferior quality to save a few bucks, guess who their boss is??

Randy (facts, not stereotypes please)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
72greenrally, i didnt intend to affend anybody.But the bosses of these companies dont care about quality(regardless of race).I bought the part not knowing the quality ( 1st purchase) .And i paid as much as i did for the amrican made piece to replace the procomp.
BTW i agree with you on your pionts made.

Sorry i affended you
jason

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've never even heard of Pro-Comp. Just Pro-Form.

Thanks for the heads up.

Matt

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
jason snyder said:
72greenrally, i didnt intend to affend anybody.But the bosses of these companies dont care about quality(regardless of race).I bought the part not knowing the quality ( 1st purchase) .And i paid as much as i did for the amrican made piece to replace the procomp.
BTW i agree with you on your pionts made.

Sorry i affended you
jason
Jason, I appreciate your apology, but I was not really offended. I am more disgusted that the overall jist of this thread is that the low quality parts are all somebody elses fault. When you took back the poorly fitting timing chain and exchanged it for one that fit correctly, you demanded quality. How long would it take that loose fitting chain beating on the timing chain cover to wear a hole through it? What do ya wanna bet the next who got that chain just installed it and ran it.

Like I said, my girlfriend won't buy Chinese products because of the quality. It is too bad that other people won't do the same thing. It would not take long to get the message out to the companies that are requiring low quality so they can sell cheap and still turn a profit that we will not accept crap. When the market for cheap products is gone, those selling them will have 2 choices: Improve quality, or go out of business. The people overseas who are making the crap products are capable of making a quality product also. When the market demands it, they will.

This thread is kind of splitting hairs in that the site rules state that "we don't want to hear about your bad experience" (paraphrased), but, with a company like this that is intentionally misleading it's customers by selling inferior products, the only way to set things right is to get the word out. The more people who the company name, and the other names used by this company, the better the chance the they will get the message that we don't want to buy crap.

Bottom line, you can't blame the factory workers in overseas factories. They are just doing their jobs, just like we are.

Randy

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
72GreenRally said:
Bottom line, you can't blame the factory workers in overseas factories. They are just doing their jobs, just like we are.

Randy
I don't think anyone is blaming the factory workers. I talk about how GM doesn't make many cars that excite me. Am I talking about the guys on the assembly line? Heck, no. I'm talking about the decision makers!

On a side note, when I was young, anything made in Japan was suspect as to quality. Now who makes the quality cars? When I was stationed in Korea, the saying for Korean products was "NQR", which stood for "not quite right". Now, their products rival Japan's. It won't be long until we view Chinese products with the same admiration for quality. They will catch on: quality sells.

Dan (as for GM, Ford, et al, we can only hope);)

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
72Green,
Well said. I couldn't agree with you more. I don't feel sorry for anyone who gets junk when they buy the cheapest they can find. For some reason Walmart comes to mind.
BP

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
72GreenRally said:
Question: If everybody stopped buying cheap parts, how long would it take before these parts had good quality control? The problem here is that everybody wants something for nothing. If you are too cheap to pay for quality, then should you be complaining when you don't get quality? You got what you paid for.

FYI: My girlfriend is Chinese, born and raised. She will not buy "Made in China" products here. Why? Because the American public is so obsessed with low cost, that they will accept poor quality to save a buck.

On another note: You can get inferior products made in any country, including the USA.

If you want quality products, pay for it. Don't complain that the cheap piece of crap you bought is a cheap piece of crap. If you demand quality, then you don't give businesses who want to cut corners a market.

Overseas workers want a job, just like you do. They just do what the boss tells them to do, just like you do. When you buy a product with inferior quality to save a few bucks, guess who their boss is??

Randy (facts, not stereotypes please)
With all due respect for the mod I beg to differ. The "you get what you pay for" line is a crock of stinky cheese. And the most overly used played out phrase on the net
Some times those more exspensive parts will become exspensive paper weights just as fast.

PS I try to never buy off shore parts. Asian or other wise.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
It is going to get more difficult to buy parts that are not made outside of the American borders. My "made in the USA" Polaris ATV has parts on it labeled "made in Japan". It is something that is unavoidable. What Dan said is correct, eventually "made in China" will be a sign of quality. In the meantime, we have to reject products that come people like Pro-comp electronics that are exploiting Chinese labor, and passing off poor quality products as "being just like the original". The real problem with this practice is that it hurts those companies in China, or whatever country, that do produce a quality product.

We have the most powerful research tool at our fingertips now, so it shouldn't be too hard to do some research when buying products to ensure that the quality desired is there. New products will have a disadvantage, but products that have been around and been proven should be able to prevail.

Randy (expressing opinions!);)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a pro-comp 50k coil & small body distributor w/o problems.... so far. When I asked for a manual/instructions/specs on the distributor (I'm a documentation fanatic) they sent me a PDF of the "MSD equivalent" and said it was "just like it"

Looks like I may need to make a new purchase soon to upgrade. Too bad an MSD setup is so fr*gg*n expensive. Shoulda just saved up I guess.

-Phil

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hm intressting thread, I´ve copy it to swedish forums to warn others here..

Our hussle is EVERY part to our chevy´s is "over sea produktion" :D

But the chineese do good parts too. the company thats ordering the parts have to tell what quality/prise he wants and from that make the prize/proffit to us customers...

Just a "fuuny" comparasy..

I wanted to buy a new lawn mover a HONDA 4stroke with cat.. YES said the swedish salesman showed mee what I wanted and said its quality and it cost $1000....... WHAT I replyed why so expensive? ..:mad: .
Whell its made i japan and had to bee shipped here was the answer....

I bougt one by myself from a company in US.. the sampe "mover" the same model and everything.. prize for mee in sweden. With freightcost, toll, tax and other costs the prize was $450..:confused: :rolleyes: :D
Remeber that THIS "mover" had to bee shipped from Japan to US to a company and from there to Sweden and then from customs to mee at ½ the prize I could buy it for here in Sweden direktly..

hmm maybee they are shimming money from us here in Sweden :eek:

Thats WHY all street roders/racers/custom/orginal cars people order MOST off their parts direktly from US.. Its ½ the prize..

AND yes this hade made for some changing lately on the prizes here :D

I

·
0 Posts
YES, please excuse me, when I refer to Pro-Comp, it IS Pro-Comp Electronics, in and from Austraila, NOT any other Pro-Comp named business, and that includes the Pro-Comp Suspension people. Sorry for any confusion with this.

As far as the Chinese manufacturing facilities go, and their operators, there has been a lot said about the quality, or lack thereof, with them. For the most part today, facilities like Pro-Form, Delphi and Scat, making parts in China, have really pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps, and are making really nice parts compared to when they started it allo a few short years ago.

However, there are still two manufacturing facilities that just haven't got the message, and don't really care about quality, and these two are the ones Peter/Pro-Comp Electronics are using, because the profit margin and build costs are the best for profits to Peter/Pro-Comp. I doubt there would be any love between the good producerrs there and Peter, as Peter has already been to the rest of them, begging/whining for "cheaper manufacturing pricing", and has been basically kicked out of every good manufacturer's places already.

As I said, Peter only has two goals in all this parts business, first and foremost is to have the largest profit on every part he can scam someone into buying, the second is to flood the market with his ripoff and spinoff parts, in hopes of putting legitimate parts manufacturers right out of business.

As far as I am aware, Pro TopLine was dissolved, part going to Comp Cams here, and only the lowest performance small block Chevy heads being sold to Peter/Pro-Comp Electronics.

Rustbucket, I'd suggest replacing the electronics with good parts from here, like NAPA, etc. That's the best remedy for one of those Pro-Comps, besides not buying it in the first place/throwing it in the trash can. My strongest suggestion is to get that junker "50,000 volt" coil that doesn't make more than 18,000 volts OUT OF THAT CAP. My suggestion is to use/build an MSD 8401 style coil cap adapter, either a NAPA IC12 or MSD 8200 ONLY, a section of coil wire, and don't look back. GET THAT EPOXY NIGHTMARE OUT OF THAT CAP. You will then have a realistic 32,000 volt HEI and up to 60 less degrees/F of inside-cap temperature. YES, I know manufacturers spew all this "Our coil will weld, its that hot" bull, but in reality, an HEI will do a nice 32K volts when the right things are done to it, instead of making a mess and lower than over-hype advertized coil in cap stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
When I go to swap meets if the vender is selling knock-off parts I keep on walking. To me it's not worth the few dollars I save on a copied product. They extra money goes to R & D, to people here at home and helps sponsor racing. I will buy overseas items; my engine stand and hoist were made in China. They both work great and cost $185 for both of them. The hoist my dad has cost over $400 new in the eighties.
The only good is if they sell those items for less; they will bring down the price of the better item. Remember when SBC aluminum heads cost 3k a set. Now you can buy better heads for $800.00. I'll take compatition any day if the playing field is level.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts