Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Good points there Paul.

I didn't read thru all the responses and I don't come here often so please forgive me if this is already posted somewhere....

But you may want to start a huge FAQ thread.....for example if you go tohttp://www.badasscars.com/techtips.html, you will notice this guy took some of the most asked questions and broke them down and pretty much went into full blown detail.....for example here's a good one:

Q: Is a 600cfm carb too big for a street engine?

A: That's a trick question. It depends on what kind of a carb it is. Is it a vacuum secondary or a double pumper? Is it a stock engine or a performance engine. Do you have a manual transmission or an automatic? These are all factors when choosing the right carb. Before I start, let me remind everyone of this. NASCAR engines have over 750 horsepower and spin between 8,000 and 9,000 RPM for 500 laps and they run a 390cfm carb! That's right, 390cfm! First of all, lets take a 600 double pumper, like Holley's #4776. It's a great little carb but as the throttle is pulled back, the primaries begin to open and a shot of fuel gets squirted down the throat from the primary accelerator pump. When the primaries get about halfway open, the secondaries begin to open (mechanically) along with another shot of fuel through the squirters, from the second accelerator pump, hence the name double pumper. This is all fine and dandy unless you've got an automatic transmission, a heavy car or high rear-end gears and you stab the throttle off the line. The engine will probably choke, cough and spit before it sluggishly starts to go. I call this "flushing the toilet". The key here is air speed or velocity, or rather lack of it! Picture this, take a shop vac and feel the suction at the end of the hose. Now make the hole smaller, the air being sucked in speeds up! This is an increase in velocity. When the throttle is stabbed, all 4 barrels opened-up at once and the air speed (a mixture of fuel and air) slows way down because the engine lost its vacuum. An engine can't go unless air (and fuel) are going into it! The faster the speed, the quicker the pick-up!

Now lets take another 600cfm carb, Holley's #1850. This is a vacuum secondary carb which has only one accelerator pump and secondaries that open via air speed passing through the carb. When the throttle is hammered, only the primaries open. This allows a faster air speed to feed the engine and no "toilet flushing". As the air passing through the primaries speeds-up, it passes over a small tube that acts like a siphon. This siphon is attached to the secondaries. They won't open-up until your engine says "Hey, I need more!". When they open, the air passing through the secondary side of the carb draws the fuel it needs through the rear jets, or in some cases metering plate. No bogging or dogging off the line! I see all too often cars coming into my shop with vacuum secondary carbs with a small screw stuck in the secondary linkage so when the gas pedal gets pushed, the secondaries are forced open, sort of like a double pumper. Don't do that! You'll just make a turd out of a good carb and defeat the purpose of vacuum secondaries.

Here's the deal on carbs. You can take a general V-8 engine and put a 650 double pumper carb (Holley #4777) on it. It will drive OK but probably be a turd out of the hole and get horrible gas mileage. You'd be much better off with a 750 vacuum secondary carb (Holley #3310) instead. Yes, CFM wise it's bigger, and technically it is, but in reality it works much better and the engine will rev faster, the car will launch and pull a lot harder and it'll get better gas mileage! If you have to "feather the throttle", your carb is probably too big. You don't want to be a dog off the line... always remember this... 80% of the race is the first 80 feet! TOP
I know it's not your job to post this sort of stuff, but to me this really helps out the individual who wants to know and then some.

Also as much as we may get sick of hearing the "what's the biggest cam i can run to get 500 hp n/a out of a 350 on pump gas and still be streetable" questions, you gotta remember some of the new young bucks coming here may not "think" to do a search, which is somewhat acceptable IMO, it's the ones who've been on board for awhile that oughta know better....

But yeah I also agree bad attitudes aren't welcome....

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Steve -Paul -the other Moderators-Everyone

Just a thank you for making this the Best Site!

2door (Has a "Ratty Cam Idle Sound" via a loose #8 plug wire)

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Steve -Paul -the other Moderators-Everyone

Just a thank you for making this the Best Site!

2door (Has a "Ratty Cam Idle Sound" via a loose #8 plug wire)
I have been a member here for years and I think that the reason this site is so great IS because of the great moderators. And the quality of some of the caring members doesn,t hurt either!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Q: Is a 600cfm carb too big for a street engine?

that was a good post thanks for the info.

well i am a newbie to this site and a realized earlier today i have spent well over 15 hours in the past two days combing through the site, it is my days off. i really am thankful to all of you who post great info and reply to questions.

I also agree with the street racing thing. now i am guilty of street racing, come on we all are, but there is no reason to be talking about where is the best place or where it is going on becuaes the less people that know where and when the less people will show up and risk getting hurt. It is stupid i am very thankful that nothing bad ever happened to me or any one i know... i know others who werent so lucky.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the site every one!

·
Banned
435 Posts
Public Answer...

I would also like to say that I wish this street racing topic would just go away. There are sites out there that are into that crap but Steves is just not one of them. If ya like to chat about street racing go to the sites that like that topic...we just dont need or want that crap here.
69NovaSS: I just finished reading the introductory post from Paul Wright and I believe it deserves the same concern with which it was written. I take his comments to heart and I'll do my best to be sure my behavior doesn't violate the standard of conduct he expects from Forum members.

Then, shortly after reading his thoughtfully written post I read your reply and was troubled by the tenor of your response.

I became a member of Steve's Nova Site Forum not long ago after spending a lot of time reading countless posts that appeared in the many forums. From the start, three forums were of interest to me: (1) Drivetrain and Performance; (2) Drag Racing; and (3) Steering, Suspension and Chasis. Whether directly or indirectly and whether you like it or not, all three forums relate to the issue of performance.

The knowledge I've acquired since joining the Site has been invaluable. The information contained in the many forums represent the selfless contributions of countless others who share a common interest in these cars and the way they perform.

Remember this: whether a member enjoys performance, "street racing" or restoration all of us stand on equal footing with one another and none of us need justify our interest to others.

Because of that standing I take exception to your comment "I wish this street racing topic would go away....We just don't need or want that crap here".

Your remarks reflect a personal preference. I (and a lot of others) don't share that preference. Hopefully, you'll remember that the next time you feel compelled to offer an unsolicited comment on what interests other members should have. There's room enough here for all of us.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
69NovaSS: I just finished reading the introductory post from Paul Wright and I believe it deserves the same concern with which it was written. I take his comments to heart and I'll do my best to be sure my behavior doesn't violate the standard of conduct he expects from Forum members.

Then, shortly after reading his thoughtfully written post I read your reply and was troubled by the tenor of your response.

I became a member of Steve's Nova Site Forum not long ago after spending a lot of time reading countless posts that appeared in the many forums. From the start, three forums were of interest to me: (1) Drivetrain and Performance; (2) Drag Racing; and (3) Steering, Suspension and Chasis. Whether directly or indirectly and whether you like it or not, all three forums relate to the issue of performance.

The knowledge I've acquired since joining the Site has been invaluable. The information contained in the many forums represent the selfless contributions of countless others who share a common interest in these cars and the way they perform.

Remember this: whether a member enjoys performance, "street racing" or restoration all of us stand on equal footing with one another and none of us need justify our interest to others.

Because of that standing I take exception to your comment "I wish this street racing topic would go away....We just don't need or want that crap here".

Your remarks reflect a personal preference. I (and a lot of others) don't share that preference. Hopefully, you'll remember that the next time you feel compelled to offer an unsolicited comment on what interests other members should have. There's room enough here for all of us.
Actually, no, there is no room here for street racing/racers. It's stated that this site will not tolerate stories of illegal activities, like street racing. Have we all done it? Probably, but hopefully, thru informative boards like this one, you have grown up and learned better. Not to mention the fact that you are performing an illegal activity.

I personally, like this board for the great job the Mods do here. I also like the fact that I can let my young neices read this with me and not have to worry about reading anything inappropriate or illicit. There are some crude comments here and there, but nothing too bad.

I also really like the knowledge you can learn here. I put my 2 cents in when I can, and I'm not always right. Then the information is corrected and I learn something new. Like when I came here I knew nothign about BBC's. All I ever worked on for years was Potiac and Buick engines. Now, thanks to the many knowlegdeable engine builders on this site, I know a good deal about how to make the BBC a real monster. I haven't always agreed with the answers 100%, but that's what great about this site. We can disagree and discuss without the childish name calling and small attitudes. Everybody wins that way.

So to the mods keep up the great work, and hopefully we members can remember to be respactful of the VOLUNTEER moderating you guys do to keep this site a great place to share a common affection for our cars, and to learn what we don't know.

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
Well I hate to interrupt the "love fest" but I couldn't care less if Paul or Grumpy Jenkins or anyone else asks or responds or feels they are too busy to answer the private PM questions of others on this forum. It's a free country.

There are plenty of others out there to ask the questions and the best way is in a forum where you get more than one answer. There is no one person on this forum who is going to give the perfect answer or advice 100% of the time (including myself). I don't care how experienced they may be or how much of a legend in their own mind they may think they are.

I think one of the lamest things a poster can do on this forum is to interrupt a thread by posting that they are PM'ing someone instead of posting a response publicly. For one thing it hijacks the thread and the only reason to do it is if you are too embarrassed in your own answer or would be violating forum rules in some way.

You know what I mean. There will be an interesting thread going strong and then all of a sudden a poster will post a message like, "Hey "so and so", I'm sending you a PM."

Who cares?

When someone receives a PM from another member, a window pops-up in front of their face telling them they have just received one. So why waste the webspace hijacking the thread telling them? Is it simply to grandstand or to kill the thread? Nobody gives a darn if you are PM'ing someone. The person you are PM'ing already knows it before they read your post in the thread.

Personally, I answer every PM that comes to me. It might take me a while and my box is full sometimes so the messages don't always get through but I eventually respond to all of them. After all, the PM box can only hold 20 messages.

I think it would be great if the PM storage was increased to at least 100 messages. I hate having to pick which messages to delete and which ones to save for future reference when you can only save 20. I forget people's names and e-mails and other info I'd like to retain unless I save it somewhere else. I wonder how many additional Gigabytes of storage it would take to increase everyone's PM storage capacity from 20 to 100?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
This site is invaluable and the people I have met thru it are truly top shelf. I found and joined Deleware Valley Nova's because of this site and now that my car project is active, plan to get more involved. I ask more questions here than have advice to offer. Sometimes I feel guilty about that but then I figure at some point, I'll be sharing what I've learned with others. I seriously doubt I'd be able to continue getting my car together without the assistance of Steve's Nova Site and its members. Gratze!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Thanks

Thanks to Paul and all the rest of you who read this and take your own time to help people you wont see or hear from.

Integrity = What you do when no one is looking. To help someone who cant hurt you.

I learn from this site every day and wish I could keep up to what most are saying, and will help if possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Turbo350 to a 400?

I have a 1970 and the third gear quit working, its the original 350. I have a friend with a 400 that was mildly built and has very low miles around 2000. he offered to sell it to me for $500 and not sure what changes im looking at to make it work. I am currently building a 396 to put in it in the near future so thats why im kinda thinking about it. Or should i spend the 600 i had a quote on rebuilding mine and us it? (providing there is nothing broke inside) can anyone give me a little advice please.

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would like to say this site rocks, I wish I knew about it five years ago when i built my 69 , very informative and addicting ! That being said keep up the good work , if it wasnt for SNS I wouldn't have that bada$&@ taurus fan sitting in my car as of yesterday lol !!!

·
12,933 Posts
Is Paul Wright still on this site? I used to see him posting on here all the time but I don't think I've seen him post in quite a while. Is he no longer on here?
If you really need to know, go to the top of the page, click on 'community', then 'membership'. Look up his name under 'P' and it will tell you the last time he visited the site.

Bob

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
I guess he's no longer an active member on here, last post was April 11, 2014, well over a year ago. Is he okay? Did anyone talk to him before he left? I talked to him a few times on here years ago and he was always helpful.
One of our guys on here just emailed him he said in a thread the other day. I mentioned his name when someone was talking about big cams bleeding off compression and that's when the member said he just talked to him.

I remember when he quit posting about the time some stuff came up in some posts on here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I need to post this because it's become necessary for me to do so. This is a public forum and I am a volunteer moderator. The questions asked here are open to the public and peer review. That's how it works. Some people may or may not like like the responses or may not like the open format. Getting mad or miffed over FREE advice, disenting opinions or public discussions is inappropriate. It's a take it or leave it proposition. It's OK to disagree with someone. That's what this country is founded on. A moderator is in place so discussions don't get out of hand. This site is much better than some because of the rules and it should stay that way. Read the site rules!

I often get PM requests or worse emails to my work inbox asking for private responses to questions. Sorry, I don't have the time or inclination nor is it appropriate for me to become a free 411 service, especially on company time.

Sometimes while I'm on the computer doing design work or while monitoring experiments I can answer a question or two but this isn't my job.

I don't mind helping people but some people ask for help then kick you in the shins. The first rule of lifesaving is not to risk your life trying to save a violent victim. What this means is asking for help and being combative is not going to get you help.

Some people may think they "own" the questions but IMO you don't own the answers. A lot of time may go into typing (or cutting and pasting) good responses. A moderators job is to delete offensive posts (and that sometimes takes some judgement) but I think good answers are worth saving. Please keep in mind that this is a public forum not a free, personal 411 service. The answers may be a benefit to many others that read the site looking for information not just the thread starter.

Diagnosing problems sight unseen over the internet is tricky. If asking a question please be sure to give enough information. You may be asked follow up questions since no one has a crystal ball.

Don't get impatient if no one answers right away. "Bumping" questions just wastes space and makes the thread longer.

Responses in violation site rules are deleted. Some extraneous posts may be deleted to save space.

I will not knowingly give or tolerate advice that leads to anything unsafe or illegal. Street racing is both unsafe AND illegal.

Don't assume that everyone posting is knowledgeable. Anyone can respond to a question. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...valid or not.

Fortunately, our system of open peer review tends to weed out bad responses, but we take no responsibility or guarantee the validity of any advice given or any consequences resulting.

If your problem gets solved (or doesn't) by the Nova Site, please let everyone know. It's helpful for everyone to find out if the advice was helpful or not.

My opinions are solely my own and in no way constitute an endorsement from my employer, the other moderators or Steve's Nova Site.
Amen, brother. Thanks for taking the time to help those of us that really need it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts