Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to post this because it's become necessary for me to do so. This is a public forum and I am a volunteer moderator. The questions asked here are open to the public and peer review. That's how it works. Some people may or may not like like the responses or may not like the open format. Getting mad or miffed over FREE advice, disenting opinions or public discussions is inappropriate. It's a take it or leave it proposition. It's OK to disagree with someone. That's what this country is founded on. A moderator is in place so discussions don't get out of hand. This site is much better than some because of the rules and it should stay that way. Read the site rules!

I often get PM requests or worse emails to my work inbox asking for private responses to questions. Sorry, I don't have the time or inclination nor is it appropriate for me to become a free 411 service, especially on company time.

Sometimes while I'm on the computer doing design work or while monitoring experiments I can answer a question or two but this isn't my job.

I don't mind helping people but some people ask for help then kick you in the shins. The first rule of lifesaving is not to risk your life trying to save a violent victim. What this means is asking for help and being combative is not going to get you help.

Some people may think they "own" the questions but IMO you don't own the answers. A lot of time may go into typing (or cutting and pasting) good responses. A moderators job is to delete offensive posts (and that sometimes takes some judgement) but I think good answers are worth saving. Please keep in mind that this is a public forum not a free, personal 411 service. The answers may be a benefit to many others that read the site looking for information not just the thread starter.

Diagnosing problems sight unseen over the internet is tricky. If asking a question please be sure to give enough information. You may be asked follow up questions since no one has a crystal ball.

Don't get impatient if no one answers right away. "Bumping" questions just wastes space and makes the thread longer.

Responses in violation site rules are deleted. Some extraneous posts may be deleted to save space.

I will not knowingly give or tolerate advice that leads to anything unsafe or illegal. Street racing is both unsafe AND illegal.

Don't assume that everyone posting is knowledgeable. Anyone can respond to a question. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...valid or not.

Fortunately, our system of open peer review tends to weed out bad responses, but we take no responsibility or guarantee the validity of any advice given or any consequences resulting.

If your problem gets solved (or doesn't) by the Nova Site, please let everyone know. It's helpful for everyone to find out if the advice was helpful or not.

My opinions are solely my own and in no way constitute an endorsement from my employer, the other moderators or Steve's Nova Site.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Paul, I would like to thank you publicly for all of the technical expertise you have shared with the members of this site. I would also like to say that I wish this street racing topic would just go away. There are sites out there that are into that crap but Steves is just not one of them. If ya like to chat about street racing go to the sites that like that topic...we just dont need or want that crap here :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm not singling out anyone person nor is that my intention, though filling up my in box with "is it done yet?" doesn't help.
Friendly PM's and email's to my home email address aren't a problem, I eventually read them all. It's all the:
"Can you pick a cam for me? I want 500 hp and a ratty idle"
requests sent to my work email that really tick me off.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I don't ask "is it done yet," I ask if there are any updates. Once every couple of weeks it's nice to know how the motor is coming along.

Kev

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
Hey Paul, I need a new cam for about 600 horsepower and a really ratty idle. What was your work e-mail address, again?? :D

JK Good post, Paul. Maybe now you'll have more time to do what you're being paid to do. Some people treat this site like Google, and expect an immediate answer to any and all questions. (my pet peeve ;) ).

Dan ( :) )

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
I especially like the newbies that join the board, post a question, and get mad when noone responds within 5 minutes :rolleyes:

WHAT...you just dont sit by your computer waiting 24hrs a day to answer questions??????? How rude is that!!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :D :)

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
69NovaSS said:
Paul, I would like to thank you publicly for all of the technical expertise you have shared with the members of this site. I would also like to say that I wish this street racing topic would just go away. There are sites out there that are into that crap but Steves is just not one of them. If ya like to chat about street racing go to the sites that like that topic...we just dont need or want that crap here :mad:
Well said 69NovaSS, especially the thank-you to Paul. I think many helpful members here make this a great site. Experts in particular areas - such as Paul - only add to it even more. :chev:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Let a Newbie chime in

I only started on Steve's site back in August and all the moderators and Guru's have made this a great site. You fella's so much great info and help that it can be hard not to over do it. I certainly hope I haven't done that. As to discussing anything illegal, I certainly agree! Having done a little street racing in my younger days, it realy isn't something a public forum should be supporting. Most of us have friends that were killed doing this at one time or another. High performance and Drag Racing is a greeat hobby and passion but it bleongs on the strip not a neighborhood street!

Keep up the great work

·
Premium Member
6,276 Posts
Paul we all thank you for the fine info and moderating. If anyone wants to see the ratty stuff-cussing -B/S and downright lies just visit almost any car site and peruse pages and pages of B/S and no real help and info. I visit them sometimes and think they all must be about 13 years old with no car just stupid remarks ( And No I aint talkin about Flyer :D ).
My thanks to all of you guys for keepin it a decent and informative site.

Now with that said I gotta question about a Flywheel But I will start a post :)

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
paul must have the patience of a saint. with all the questions he gets and his work and his personal life , he finds the time to help us out.

most peeps would just delete half of them.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Private question needing pubic answer.

So Paul if I stir my coffie with a push rod and then instal said pushrod into my 383 what will the ratio of oil to coffie be after my 20min cam /lifter break in session?:D

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
I wonder if the coffee is better?

Really, I've been with this site since Steve started it 6,7, (more) how many years has it been?
Any way THANKS to everyone!
This is the ONLY site I visit on a regular basis.

Mark

·
Registered
50 Posts
All I have to say is This the best site on the web and I have learned more about Chevy ll and Nova's here then anywhere else I have visited. The people we have to thank this for is the Moderators and members we have here. So people should repect one another place of employment and keep it strictly on this site or one personal email. I have only read very very good advice from the Moderators and most of the members here. Keep up the great job of this site. And lets keep the racing on the strips more fun that way.:D :D :D I make this my first stop when online. :D :D :D

Just my own opinion Thanks, Howard :chev:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've been a member almost a year and can't say I have any complaints with the site. I've been very pleased with this site, its information and member base. I've received responses to all my posts, usually within hours and never more than 3 days. It's a good place to collect opinions and facts and review other members experiences with cars and setups similar to our own. I'm sure the majority of the members here appreciate the value of this site and its information.

My suggestion for those that are impatient or need immediate information, call your local service shop or dealer. That's what they get paid for and will usually help you or direct you to the appropriate information, provided you have the right attitude.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My 2 cents worth as a new member..everyone has been real helpful and patient. My lack of knowledge shows but with the help of many here I have learned alot and been able to take care of situations that have happened with my wagon. Thanks to all for your help

·
Registered
533 Posts
I need to post this because it's become necessary for me to do so. This is a public forum and I am a volunteer moderator. The questions asked here are open to the public and peer review. That's how it works. Some people may or may not like like the responses or may not like the open format. Getting mad or miffed over FREE advice, disenting opinions or public discussions is inappropriate. It's a take it or leave it proposition. It's OK to disagree with someone. That's what this country is founded on. A moderator is in place so discussions don't get out of hand. This site is much better than some because of the rules and it should stay that way. Read the site rules!

I often get PM requests or worse emails to my work inbox asking for private responses to questions. Sorry, I don't have the time or inclination nor is it appropriate for me to become a free 411 service, especially on company time.

Sometimes while I'm on the computer doing design work or while monitoring experiments I can answer a question or two but this isn't my job.

I don't mind helping people but some people ask for help then kick you in the shins. The first rule of lifesaving is not to risk your life trying to save a violent victim. What this means is asking for help and being combative is not going to get you help.

Some people may think they "own" the questions but IMO you don't own the answers. A lot of time may go into typing (or cutting and pasting) good responses. A moderators job is to delete offensive posts (and that sometimes takes some judgement) but I think good answers are worth saving. Please keep in mind that this is a public forum not a free, personal 411 service. The answers may be a benefit to many others that read the site looking for information not just the thread starter.

Diagnosing problems sight unseen over the internet is tricky. If asking a question please be sure to give enough information. You may be asked follow up questions since no one has a crystal ball.

Don't get impatient if no one answers right away. "Bumping" questions just wastes space and makes the thread longer.

Responses in violation site rules are deleted. Some extraneous posts may be deleted to save space.

I will not knowingly give or tolerate advice that leads to anything unsafe or illegal. Street racing is both unsafe AND illegal.

Don't assume that everyone posting is knowledgeable. Anyone can respond to a question. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...valid or not.

Fortunately, our system of open peer review tends to weed out bad responses, but we take no responsibility or guarantee the validity of any advice given or any consequences resulting.

If your problem gets solved (or doesn't) by the Nova Site, please let everyone know. It's helpful for everyone to find out if the advice was helpful or not.

My opinions are solely my own and in no way constitute an endorsement from my employer, the other moderators or Steve's Nova Site.
first time i read this.....pretty much says it all...great post!

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is a great site,already helped me a lot inthe short time since I joined.I like the friendly and relaxed atmosphere,when I'm to tired to actually work on my car I can come here,read some,look at some of the cars and dream about my 64. I everyone thinks before they post and has respect for other peoples time and feelings,it should always be a great site with great people (hope thats not too much of the touchy feely stuff):)
Harald

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
So Paul if I stir my coffie with a push rod and then instal said pushrod into my 383 what will the ratio of oil to coffie be after my 20min cam /lifter break in session?:D
I think it depends on whether it's de-caf or not doesn't it????

1 - 20 of 39 Posts