Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's whats going on when I prime the motor. All rockers are getting oil but they are not all really "shooting". #2 cylinder especially is just gushing oil while the others are not. Here's a video if you have 5 minutes to take a peek and see what I'm up to. Comments welcome. thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8GW2sYIbNU

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Don't worry, it looks ok with good pressure. If the galleys are clean and not restricted with debris, you shouldn't have a problem.
If you had an assistant to rotate the balancer 90 degrees and check the rockers at TDC compression in the firing order you'd probably get more out of the other rockers. Those cordless drills don't spin real fast and stopping to roate a few degrees lets the pressure drop. Anyway, you got 55 psi so that's good. Once it's running there will be oil under those chrome covers.

ps, your daughter is real cute.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, my daughter is a dream come true, very smart and the apple of my eye. When she saw the box on the porch she asked...."Daddy, I think thats the oil pump". Then she helped me install it. She knows all the parts of the motor and she alone installed my magnetic drain plug in the pan. I've got her learning shop safety first, and now she's doing lug nuts. lol.

Good peace of mind on the priming. Thanks. I'm heading to NC for a few days and hope to grab a converter when I get back. Will gasket up my covers and bolt them down. No silicone needed at all, right? I got some small stainless 1/4" bolts and also the t shaped washer hold downs, to spread the bearing a bit. Looking forward to getting a piston stop, getting the motor 8 or 10 btdc, drop in the distributor (probably after installing the engine) getting the initial timing just right and cranking her up. only thing holding me back, other than time, is a carb and exhaust. Once I get the motor and trans in, I will pull out the rear for clean up, get my tank and fuel lines in and that should be about it....other than some electrical and power hookups.

Any suggestions for a carb are appreciated. I will probably get a rebuilt unit from big Al. Still not sure if I need duel feed, mechanical or vac secondaries, etc.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
GREAT vid!!! You should do more of that. And yeah, looks like you went far and beyond to make sure the lifters were oiling. Yer set!!!!

Geeze, I also have my 5-YO girl here helping me out. More than my 9YO boy, hes not into it. She wants to get in the shop and turn the lathe handles and always asks, whats this part do? I love it. Keep the vids and great work coming..... JR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts