Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’ll be ready to start priming in a few weeks so before I go and talk to the guys at the paint store I would like some input from you guys. What color primer should I go with, I will be painting the car Marina Blue. (Base coat clear coat)

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
i shouldn't really matter the blue base coat shold cover fine. you only have to worry about the primer color with top coats that are very translucent.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
gray should work fine.if you plan to blocksand several times,talk to your paint jobber about adding a slight amount of color (3-5%) to your primer.blocksand it till you start to burn through.prime it a second time with a slightly different 'tinted' primer.block sand again.this will show you 'highes/lows'.repeat until car is straight.IMPORTANT...prime a solid color and prep without burn-throughs before painting basecoat.
ps.you can also apply a trace coat with cheap aerosol paint prior to blocking if primer isn't tintable.good luck,thx,cj.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
normally I would try to use a primmer that was close to the final color of the car...that way if you get a chip in the paint it doesnt stand out as much.....BUT of course primer only comes in so many colors so if the paint is way different in color than the primer it well cover I normally go with the lightest colored primer I can get so that its easier to get complete coverage with the paint...So in this case I would likely use gray primmer....just like I did when I painted my Nova yellow;) :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
And For anybody who may be painting their car a dark color <metallic green in my case>, it is my personal experiece that a dark<black> primer covers easier then a light<grey> one. Plus, if your not able to paint it right away, and are doing just patches, the dark on dark looks decent as is, in my mind atleast.

Take a look at the rear fender, to get what I'm talking about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts