Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I know this has been talked about before, at least somewhat, but I cannot find the thread.

What can I expect to pay to have a pair of ’72 fenders media blasted or dipped? Do any of you prefer one method over the other?

Thanks!

·
Registered
461 Posts
dipping

the trouble i've seen with dipping is that where there is a double panel, the acid keeps seeping out. my friend had his air cleaner done and he's washed it and washed it and tried all kinds of stuff but it keeps seeping out around the upper lip. even after it was painted.

·
6,498 Posts
I have been paying about $40.00 for parts like a fender, a door, a trunk lid, and maybe up to $50 or so for larger hoods being dipped.
I have only had one problem with a dipped part and that was the engine bay diagonal tubes on my 74. The ends on those are crimped shut and I had acid weeping out of them but luckily I had another set and I learned from the experience. This experience is not to have something that does not allow the acid cleaners or the nuetralizing liquids to easily enter and exit the part. I have not had any problems with dipping on the 3 sets of doors, 3 sets of fenders, 2 trunk lids, 2 hatchlids, 1 hood, 2 sets of inner front fenderwells, small parts, and bumper braces.
It could very well be how the operator does the process and I would have to think that if the part is in the paint and rust removal tank for let's say 1 day then the operator then needs to have the part in the nuetralizer for at least a day if not two just to make sure it's all neutralized. If the part is in a full day and then only in the neutralizing tank for an hour I would not be comfortable with that time frame. I would rather see it soak longer in the neutralizer tank than the stripper tank.
Blasting should only be done on parts that you can see the surface. Blasting WILL not get behind corners and it is pretty much line of sight.
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts