Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought both trannies for $50!!! Yep, a steal! They are both complete with torque converters but need to be rebuilt. The 200-4R was much lighter on my back! :yes: So far, I dropped the pan on the 200-4R and its pretty gritty. Ill get to the 700R4 by this weekend. So instead of deciding on wich to buy ( I got them both :devil: ) I was trying to figure out wich I should attempt first. The manual valve bodies on the 200-4R are like $300 alone! kind of steep! I really want to use a manual/automatic valve body on the overdrive tranny. Engine specs are a 460ci in a 78 Nova, ~ 3800 lbs hence the chevybelly :) Rear end is a 10 bolt with undetermined final gear, 3.08 + Should be around 450hp, 500 TQ. I plan on using the ATSG book to dissasemble, inspect and rebuild ( what I can ) I just wanted to know what you guys spent on a complete overdrive rebuild. Any insight would be good. For example are the 700 TC's cheaper than the 200's. Valve body prices. Will I have to pay a shop to set up my shift points on the 200 ( I read they are picky because of valve body variations ) etc...Will it be cheaper and easier to do the 700 R4 because thats what most aftermarkets stock? I read many threads on the pros and cons. Thanks in advance - Gary -

Some Pics

200-4R Pan drop

The 200-4R is a "KTF" tranny from 1989. Was behind a 307 Monte Carlo

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
KTF is probably an Olds tranny. What's the full code on the tag?
I didnt write it down, I just memorized those digits because I was looking for the BRF. When I get home ill write both codes down and list them. The guy showed me the car they came out of. It was a Monte Carlo with a 307, he put in a 350 with many upgrades, was probably why he went through the trannies. So they used Oldsmobile trannies in Chevys?

·
3,875 Posts
The 200-4R has the multifit bellhousing. Chevy and BOP. I have an ID sheet for the 200 and it has the KT as an Olds.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Numbers on the 200-4r 097 891 kTF 0375. Is this worthy a rebuild? I know some trannies were junk. I couldn't read the 700r4 numbers. I need to power wash it. I read a v6 700r4 won't work on v8

·
3,875 Posts
Its an 89 Olds trans built the 1st shift of the 97th day of the year. 0375 is a serial number. Basic low performance transmission. The BRF (Grand National) are the best to start with, but are hard to find and expensive. The next one would be a CZF (Monte SS). If you don't build it let me know, I'm looking for a pump cover.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its an 89 Olds trans built the 1st shift of the 97th day of the year. 0375 is a serial number. Basic low performance transmission. The BRF (Grand National) are the best to start with, but are hard to find and expensive. The next one would be a CZF (Monte SS). If you don't build it let me know, I'm looking for a pump cover.
ok, will do, thanks info

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
You really don't need to go out and purchase one of those BRF or CZF trannies. Why? If you are going to rebuild it, most of the weak parts in that transmission you have now will be replaced with hardened or performance related parts. I have built 2 of these trannies and I don't call myself a "tech nerd on 200-4Rs", but, I do know my way around the inside of these.

Most of the "run of the mill" trannies of course don't have the same stuff as the Buick Grand National or Monte Carlo SS but, with the addition of some up-graded parts, the tranny you have now will be fine. I am at work and don't have my parts list available but, I will post this evening a list of parts that I replaced in my CZF ( 1986 Monte SS ) tranny.

The most desireable 200-4R trannies are the later years ( 86-90 ). Why? Due to TSBs and other GM upgrades, these are the most desireables of the 200-4R family.

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You really don't need to go out and purchase one of those BRF or CZF trannies. Why? If you are going to rebuild it, most of the weak parts in that transmission you have now will be replaced with hardened or performance related parts. I have built 2 of these trannies and I don't call myself a "tech nerd on 200-4Rs", but, I do know my way around the inside of these.

Most of the "run of the mill" trannies of course don't have the same stuff as the Buick Grand National or Monte Carlo SS but, with the addition of some up-graded parts, the tranny you have now will be fine. I am at work and don't have my parts list available but, I will post this evening a list of parts that I replaced in my CZF ( 1986 Monte SS ) tranny.

The most desireable 200-4R trannies are the later years ( 86-90 ). Why? Due to TSBs and other GM upgrades, these are the most desireables of the 200-4R family.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Yea, it definately does, thanks. I read and studied a quick run through of a 2004R build on the gnttype.com website. The guy was supposedly very sucessful with an art carr rebuild kit and a mike something/art carr shift kit. He included a few mods of his own and included part #'s and his home made tools. It was pretty easy to follow. Ill definately get the Haynes automatic tranny book. I think there is plenty of info on the web also. ill collect web info first, read through the book, then work the rebuild. I am thinking about getting the kit from 700r4l60e.com I like the fact that they describe their rebuild kits and rate what they can handle.

https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/product.php?productid=44&cat=23&page=1

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
this looks like its gonna be interesting.subscribing

question. do the od transmissions just drop behind a bbc like a regular or th350/400 would? what mods if any are needed? are these the ones where you can use the computer to set the lockup point ? how much power can they hold?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
CyanJaguar,

the 200-4R will bolt up to the big block motors. As for mods, you will basically replace everything with the exception of the case and the valve body. All the parts will need to be replaced with either the "heat treated" or as mentioned earlier, the HP stuff. The early non -computerized 200-4Rs used the T.V. cable as the direct link between the tranny and the motor.

For more info, go here:

http://www.tvmadeez.com/

That web site has alot of information about the TV cable and how it operates the inner mechanizms of the tranny.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
the valve body on the 200-4r is the big difference between the gn/monte and the rest. all the guts are pretty much the same (junk). a new billet shaft forward drum will be a must for over 300ft/lbs. a nice heat treated sunshell, billet input shaft and overdrive carrier and overdrive ring gear. some other very weak links.

look here for good rebuild kits
http://www.ckperformance.com/resources/GM2004RREBUILDKITS.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts