Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some stock Vortec's on my 355. The only upgrade is roller rockers. What is (gererally speaking) the upper limit of RPM for press in rocker studs?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I have some stock Vortec's on my 355. The only upgrade is roller rockers. What is (gererally speaking) the upper limit of RPM for press in rocker studs?
It's generally not the RPM that pulls the studs but the valve spring pressures.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
That depends on the cam's lobe designs. I've seen stock GM solid flat tappets turn 8000 before but the majority of the mundane smooth idling hydraulic flat tappets are so small they generally won't make power much over 5000.:rolleyes:

I said RPM won't necessarily cause the studs to pull out, but that's actually only half true. Too high of an RPM causing the loss of valvetrain control (otherwise known as valve float) can lead to rocker studs being pulled out, broken valves (and a trashed motor), broken springs, broke rockers, bent/broken pushrods, etc...

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
That depends on the cam's lobe designs. I've seen stock GM solid flat tappets turn 8000 before but the majority of the mundane smooth idling hydraulic flat tappets are so small they generally won't make power much over 5000.:rolleyes:

I said RPM won't necessarily cause the studs to pull out, but that's actually only half true. Too high of an RPM causing the loss of valvetrain control (otherwise known as valve float) can lead to rocker studs being pulled out, broken valves (and a trashed motor), broken springs, broke rockers, bent/broken pushrods, etc...
Well said. As long as that engine see 5G's or less, I'm sure it'd be ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts