Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have looked through the archives, and used the search feature, but I still havent really found what I am looking for. So please forgive the question if it is often asked.

I have a 350 block that has sat for several years. It is "seasoned" as they say, with surface rust everywhere. I want to take it in to hot tank it, so it is clean, before rebuilding.

I have the cam bearings out, and the oil galley plugs in the front and back are out. I still need to pull the freeze plugs and the lower water jacket plugs.

Are there any oil bypass plugs up in the rear main area that need to come out? I think in the early 327s, I read that there is. I dont want to send it to be tanked, and find out later that I left something in.

Does anyone have any other advice for prepping the block prior to being tanked? Im not actually planning on rebuilding this particular block, but I will be building its sister.

Thanks in advance!:yes:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any advice for removing the freeze plugs? I was thinking of finding a large socket to fit just inside the diameter of the lip, and tap them. Barring that, maybe using a drift punch to work one side and try to flip them around without tearing them up too much.

Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would you not want to tear them up? You're going to be replacing them with new ones anyways. Please tell me that you aren't using old freeze plugs....
But isnt it cheaper than buying new ones? Just reuse them?:yes:

:no:

No, I wouldnt want to tear them up too bad for fear of stray metal getting stuck in the water jacket, and maybe not coming out until the wrong time, sometime later.

Part of that comes from military training, where you account for every piece of everything, to keep something from getting sucked into where it shouldnt.

Seeing as how this block has sat outside for a number of years, I dont know how stuck the freeze plugs will be. When I knocked the cam bearings out, I used a bit of wd40 on them, and let them sit a few. The bearings came out fine, until the last one butted up against the core plug at the rear. That took a few extra good whacks to get out. So in the process, I dont want to mar the mating surface if I get too carried away.

Reuse old freeze plugs.... lol :eek: :devil:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Now would be a good time to debur the lifter valley. It is not something that has to be done, but it is something that I do. With your block sitting are you planning on having the block bored and honed?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With your block sitting are you planning on having the block bored and honed?
Not this particular block, but in the end, the block I will be building will be punched out, everything done, to make it a 383.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Am I missing something here? You will never get those freeze plugs out with a slide hammer! If you are going to spend you're money machining this temporary block you might as well get a Scat stroked crank and rods and do the 383 build. You are wasting you're money if you don't go the 383 route now. Just my:2cents:

·
Registered
583 Posts
i usually take a screw driver or a punch and hit one side of the lip of the frost plug and that should twist it amd then just get some pliers or a vise grip and pull/wiggle it out.

CNC BLOCKS is right, if its rusted the hot tank will not take the rust off just the grease, grime and dirt.

i would highly suggest getting the block shot blast, it will come out looking like chrome.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not this particular block, but in the end, the block I will be building will be punched out, everything done, to make it a 383.
Depends on how much rust is in the cylinders. If it just surface rust you may be able to get by with just a hone depending on how far out they are. But chances are it will need a bore and hone. If so don't waste your money if you are planning on a 383 later. Do it now and save yourself some money.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is no grease, grime or anything on this block, just surface rust. I want to clean it up a little and sell it for someone else to rebuild. I have 4 blocks, of which I only want 2. Im not going to throw the other 2 away, so if someone can build them, why not?

I was quoted a price of $400 to completely mill, machine, bore, etc., my other block to 383 specs, but Im not going to invest that much money into a block I am looking to sell.

They are all 4 bolt main blocks.

Thanks for the replies though. This weekend I am going to try to get the plugs out. I was told $35 to tank the block, but I will have to find a different shop to do the blasting, if tanking it wont get the rust off.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There is no grease, grime or anything on this block, just surface rust. I want to clean it up a little and sell it for someone else to rebuild. I have 4 blocks, of which I only want 2. Im not going to throw the other 2 away, so if someone can build them, why not?

I was quoted a price of $400 to completely mill, machine, bore, etc., my other block to 383 specs, but Im not going to invest that much money into a block I am looking to sell.

They are all 4 bolt main blocks.

Thanks for the replies though. This weekend I am going to try to get the plugs out. I was told $35 to tank the block, but I will have to find a different shop to do the blasting, if tanking it wont get the rust off.
I would sonic test all the blocks before doing anything and keep the good ones and sell the rest. Blocks don't have to be cleaned to sonic test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts