Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of new Crane roller lifters that I am going to install in my motor. They have an oil type coating/film on them. What is the best thing to use to clean them up before putting them in the motor? When I do install them do I just oil them up real good or do I need to use assembly lube on the lobes of the cam? The cam is used and has already been broken in. Thanks in advance, Jeff

·
Registered
857 Posts
A little WD 40 will probably clean them, if not a little wax & grease remover. I don't know how you're going to use your car, but if alot of idleing is in store for it, I would install a rev kit to keep the roller lifter on the cam at idle. I ate a $700 cam & lifters cruising town & sitting at lights & drive throughs. At idle the roller lifters are pounding lobes with the 25 or so thousanths lash. I did get 2200 miles out of her before the needle bearings fell out of one of the wheels. Nobody said anything to me beforehand, but it won't happen to me again. Just coat them with oil for installation.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats exactly what i needed:) Thanks for the advice I will definitely look into the rev kit.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The oil coating they came with is most likely Cosmoline. It's sole purpose is rust/corrosion prevention. Like what was said above, WD-40 is great for cleaning it off. Then just soak them in some oil prior to installation. :yes:

Are the Crane lifters you got the pressure fed oiling type? I hope so....It helps add quite a bit of life to the bearings and axle of the lifters.:yes:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The oil coating they came with is most likely Cosmoline. It's sole purpose is rust/corrosion prevention. Like what was said above, WD-40 is great for cleaning it off. Then just soak them in some oil prior to installation. :yes:

Are the Crane lifters you got the pressure fed oiling type? I hope so....It helps add quite a bit of life to the bearings and axle of the lifters.:yes:
I believe they are pressure fed. The Crane Cams part# is 11515-16. I got the lifters back a couple years ago when I was racing dirt and they were never used so I bought a nice street/strip cam so I could use them in the Nova. Another question is the heads were setup for about 550 lift with a flat tappet and now i'm upgrading to the roller cam which has a 582 lift. I have found the matching springs at Summit but when I go to put them in can I just put them in or will they have to be checked/measured to a specific rate? I have not messed with much when it comes to springs etc. so i'm just trying to figure it out. I would hate to ruin a bunch of high dollar parts.I may just take the heads to a machine shop and have them do it but I enjoy the pride of doing it myself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
just need to make sure that they when they are installed they match the spec for the "installed height" you can check this with a valve spring mic.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just need to make sure that they when they are installed they match the spec for the "installed height" you can check this with a valve spring mic.
Awesome, that will work. I will order the mic when I get the springs. Thanks for all the advice guys.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts