Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am still trying to gather enough info to determine what needs to be done to get the TKO in the 75. This info is preliminary and may change. I will need some help with a couple of measurements on cars with new subframe bushings and poly trans mount.

So far I have learned the stock crossmember needs no modification to work with the Tremec. For the mock up I am using stock type rubber motor and transmission mounts. The trans mount needed to be shimmed 3/8" to put the engine at the same angle as the Muncie. I have heard that the poly trans mount is a little taller than rubber. Anyone know how much? FYI the stock mount will not bolt to the TKO. What transmission mount did you guys use that have installed these transmissions in earlier models?

Measuring from the upper trans to bellhousing bolt holes the TKO is about 1 1/2" taller at the highest point, the vent, than the Muncie. Then measuring from the sub frame up to the floor it appears the Muncie cleared the floor by about 2" so the TKO will only be 1/2" away which is not far enough. Here is where I need a measurement. Can you guys with new subframe bushings measure the distance of both poly and rubber between the top of the frame rail and the floor at the rear bushing. My bushings are worn out and measure 5/8". The four door are also worn out and measure 3/4". I need to know how much difference good bushings will make and if I should buy the poly or rubber. It may not be necessary to cut the floor open if a comfortable clearance can be had with good bushings. I know that new bushings will increase the Muncie clearance I used as a baseline as well as the TKO, but I think if I can get better than an inch of floor clearance it may be enough. With stiff poly mounts on the engine and trans there may be so little movement a tighter clearance will be acceptable.

Here are some photos of the clearance at the crossmember. It is tight but I feel enough.

From the side:

This mount is an offshore piece of dung that is having a hard time just holding up the trans.

From the rear:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Hey Phillip, from what i've read from members, after changing to polys more seat of the pants feel is experienced, you know what i mean i think... Danno did a replacement on his 72 with Polys... to my understanding, he's very happy with them...

i see no reason why one of the counterguys at a resto parts supplier couldn't pull a kit off the shelf and measure for ya... they'd prolly carry the stds and the polys... so if ya were gonna order a set anywho, why can't the guy check 'em for ya ;)

looking forward ta checking yer progress reports... sure is gonna be nice :D

GET LOTSA PICS !!!! i bet yer gonna be the first 4th Genner ta do this swap... i'm happy for ya :D

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i bet yer gonna be the first 4th Genner ta do this swap
Probably, but what other fool would put $6k worth of drive train in a $350 car :rolleyes:
Update on the stock mount, a stock mount will work just fine, but this Made in India replica will not fit at all. And John look in your box, I bet you have the same one. I will be ordering polyurethane engine, transmission and body mounts from the first vender that wants to be helpful with some measurements. Should I start a poll on how many places I'll have to call before ordering ;)

I have been looking at the crossmember mounting area to possibly rework the plate the mount bolts to in an effort to use the stock location in the subframe, rather then drill new holes 1 1/2" farther back. If I can it will create even more clearance between the extension housing and crossmember. Of course it will be lots easier to just drill new holes, but where is the fun in that :D

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i bet if ya check yer local parts jockey, he can throw quite a few mounts on the counter for ya ta look at... mine's a cheapie too... but it will work for mock ups... yer right 'bout that...

i dunno 'bout that Phillip... a $350 dollar car ??? kinda insultin' yer own ride there ain't ya ??? ya fergetin' i've seen what it is ??? i'm waiting for what it WILL be...

when yer all finished it'll Hardly be a $350 dollar car... i'll give ya $400 ;)

yuk yuk yuk :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts