Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking on You Tube for suggestions on the best oil filters, for high performance oil filters. What's everyone's favorite, and why?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am not positive, but think the Napa Gold is made by Wix.

Anyone can clarify ??

I have been using the Napa filter for many years with no issues.
Correct! Napa Gold is made by Wix.

For street Wix/Napa Gold and for Race the Wix Racing series (also offered by Napa)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Correct! Napa Gold is made by Wix.

For street Wix/Napa Gold and for Race the Wix Racing series (also offered by Napa)
I USED to run the WIX racing filters, but was a little nervous at their 61 micron rating. I know its flow restriction that it is trying to help, but 61 microns= .0025 so that is a big piece that will get into a bearing clearance. I switched to Moroso which is 28 microns = .0011. I figured the smaller pieces would flow through the clearances easier with less chance of damage. I have heard of other engine builders sticking with the standard WIX filters at 21 or so microns on race engines.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,659 Posts
For my small block Chevy, I use the NAPA Gold 1061 (I believe this is the same filter as the Wix 51061). This is the larger/taller filter that holds more oil then the standard filter.

The reason I use this filter is my research has shown that many others have also recommended the NAPA Gold and Wix oil filters.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For any type of race application I only use the System 1. It is a take apart filter with a stainless micron filter. It's great to be able to tell if anything is going wrong in the engine by just pulling the lid off the filter and inspecting it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
No race use here.
More like "flogged grocery gitter".

I run Wix / NAPA Gold*.
I used to use a lot of Motorcraft (made by Purolator). Their bypass pressure is higher than Delcos and the filter media - spec'd by Ford - flows a bit better than standard Purolator filters. However, I stopped when I learned that the bypass is at the bottom of the filter. So, if it does go into bypass, there's a good chance of stirring up junk and pushing it through the engine. :rolleyes:

*I've stopped toying with other oils, and stick with Mobil1 exclusively, now (plus zinc additive for flat tappet cam engines). The only exceptions are a couple pieces of lawn and garden equipment that get conventional SAE30. ...And the mother-in-law's car that gets whatever leftovers are floating around in the garage. Might be SAE30 and 5w20 one time; 10w40 and 5w30 the next time; or even 20w50, 0w20, and a quart of 2-stroke oil. :D
Come to think of it, the car is about 15k miles overdue for a supercharger oil change. Perhaps I'll try some ATF... ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I USED to run the WIX racing filters, but was a little nervous at their 61 micron rating. I know its flow restriction that it is trying to help, but 61 microns= .0025 so that is a big piece that will get into a bearing clearance. I switched to Moroso which is 28 microns = .0011. I figured the smaller pieces would flow through the clearances easier with less chance of damage. I have heard of other engine builders sticking with the standard WIX filters at 21 or so microns on race engines.
Thanks for the great technical. Certainly something to ponder....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did an highly un-scientific oil filter comparison a few years back. I'll look and see if I can find the pictures. Best I recall, I had filter from Motorcraft, Wix, Harley, Toyota, K&N, Fram and maybe a couple more. I cut open used filters and examined the media and construction. Wix and a couple of others were very similar in construction and media. I liked what I saw. On the other hand I was surprised that a Fram looked extremely cheap on the inside (glued ends and warped up meida), because I ran them almost exclusively for lots of years. I guess that is what happens when you build to a price point for mass merchandisers. Maybe the higher priced Fram's have better construction.

That said, I like Wix.

·
Registered
56 Posts
WOW!!! In all my years this issue has never occurred to me! I’ve not bought an oil filter in years now because I find them at garage sales and thrift stores all the time! Once I bought a case of air filters for $1 each! Still have some. Clear fuel filters too! Amazing what you can find and who you can meet. Found a hidden ‘36 Plymouth at a garage sale last weekend. You just never know what you’ll stumble over.
I’ve only one or two oil filters left and now that I’ve learned this info I’ll have to see what I have. The Motorcraft info scares me and I think I have one or two. Dang Ford crap. ?

·
Registered
20,119 Posts
WIX 51061 hands down. Most engine builders I know use them.
Pretty sure that's the one I have on the Nova. I keep the boxtop in the glove box of all my vehicles so I know what and how many qts to get.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts