Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about using Calvert Racing Caltracks and their leaf springs. The question is can I get a 10 inch tire under the stock wheeling housings? I can widen the wheel housing to the frame rail if needed. Will I need to narrow the rearend housing? Maybe. And if it does require narrowing, will there be enough room to move the spring perches on the rearend housing to mount the springs to the stock leaf spring mounts on the frame rails? I've got the rearend under the car now on jacks. From what I see, I'm not sure. The housing that came on the car was incorrect. If I remember correctly it was a 55-64 rearend. It sure isn't a 10/12 bolt. So, I'm mocking up a rearend that doesn't belong in the first place. The journey continues.

As to motor I'm thinking 383 stroker 450-500hp and a Ford 9 inch from Quick Performance. Just a driver. No serious racing.

I've looked at most of the coil over products on the market. Not opposed to going there if I have to but would prefer not if I can get what I want using leaf springs.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm assuming 1st Gen Chevy II/Nova from the mention of the old drop out 8.2" 5-64 rear....but you didn't say...

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Pictures would be helpful.
The first two pics are of a 57 Belair axle which should have the same center drop out section as the ChevyII.
The 3rd picture is a 64-67 8.2 10 bolt. 57.75” wide.
2950B90F-861C-417D-B995-BC5AA97A61FA.jpeg
07A07F65-2A23-4772-852E-A566AEA4F10A.jpeg
256E2B28-670B-4A9C-904D-8DB458C95AF0.png

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some images. This is the rearend that came with the my 67 Nova SS. I know it is not the original. Long story. Not worth repeating. The current tire size is 255 60/15. Just barely fits as is. There is some room to tub to the frame rail and possibly gain an inch by just removing the rubber stop above the axle housing. The question is, can I gain enough clearance to use the 255s or a bit larger and still use leaf springs without the offset brackets for mounting. I don't think I can use wheel backspace to get what I want because the leaf springs are too close, I think. This is my first project so lots for me to learn.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Measure your wheel houses inside to inside outer wheel house. My 1st gen houses have measured 12 inches. 66-67’s have a little more space but I don’t know how much.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Nova Thug,
Stock housings on 67 SS are roughly 12" at the center with some narrowing front and back. The question is, can I center/fit a wider tire in the housing and still be able to use leaf springs without using the offset brackets?

I don't think so. I'm asking because I'm new to this. If I can't, then my options are go with a smaller tire or go to a suspension system with coil overs.
Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,916 Posts
Hello Nova Thug,
Stock housings on 67 SS are roughly 12" at the center with some narrowing front and back. The question is, can I center/fit a wider tire in the housing and still be able to use leaf springs without using the offset brackets?
Thanks, Mike
Nope.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Pragmatist,

That's what I thought.

I'll have to stay with the 255s then. With the 255s, I have roughly 1/2" spacing between tire and inner lip on fender. With the current set up it does rub a bit when turning. The Caltracks, better quality shocks and leaf spring the 1/2" clearance might be enough (??). Or...I could take a 1/4" off of the fender inner lip or find a wheel with 1/2" more backspace or narrow the axle 1".

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I am thinking about using Calvert Racing Caltracks and their leaf springs. The question is can I get a 10 inch tire under the stock wheeling housings? I can widen the wheel housing to the frame rail if needed. Will I need to narrow the rearend housing? Maybe. And if it does require narrowing, will there be enough room to move the spring perches on the rearend housing to mount the springs to the stock leaf spring mounts on the frame rails? I've got the rearend under the car now on jacks. From what I see, I'm not sure. The housing that came on the car was incorrect. If I remember correctly it was a 55-64 rearend. It sure isn't a 10/12 bolt. So, I'm mocking up a rearend that doesn't belong in the first place. The journey continues.

As to motor I'm thinking 383 stroker 450-500hp and a Ford 9 inch from Quick Performance. Just a driver. No serious racing.

I've looked at most of the coil over products on the market. Not opposed to going there if I have to but would prefer not if I can get what I want using leaf springs.

Thanks, Mike
It’s not really necessary to narrow tha rear end unless you have a specific wheel you have in mind to run or you want to run deep dish wheels. You can build wheels to accommodate your car or build your car around your wheels. It’s just a matter of which one takes priority.. A 255 tread section tire is going the be right at 10 inches wide. The problem will be the sidewall bulge on a 255/60/15. It will be wider then the actual tread section. You can have 8 inch wide wheels made that will work if you have them made with the proper backspacing. The leaf springs will be pretty close to the tire but the axle and springs move together so the two limitations will be the sidewall bulge and the lower edge of the inner wheel house where it meets the trunk floor.

I’ve test fitted a 255/45/17 on 8 inch wide wheel on two of my 1st gen hardtops. The fit is close but it is clear in all the right areas. Based off of this finding I had some 15x8 wheels made for my 64. The backspace is 5.25 inches. I don’t plan to go to a 255 on this setup. Probably a 235/60/15 maximum. 1st gens have a little more restrictive rear wheel houses then 2nd gens.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you resolved this? If not then if you are using rubber or maybe even poly bushings in the leaf springs you could move just the front leaf spring mounts inboard a little bit to gain clearance. The clearance between the tire and leaf is tighter in front of the rear axle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts