Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

I am in the process of getting my 'new' nova safe to drive. A few months ago I had a mishap with the brakes (as in, they failed / burned / didnt stop my car).

I took it to a shop and they said the front shoes were smooth, etc, and replaced them. I have OK stopping power now, but I don't trust them yet. I'd like to trust being able to stop, ya know? :)

I want to do a disc brake conversion and replace related parts, such as the lines, maybe the booster (which looks like it comes in a lot of kits anyway), etc. Also, the parking brake doesn't seem to be connected to anything, so I'll need to take care of that. Is there a traditional emergency brake in these cars? The guy that had this before me ripped things out and didn't leave me with much.

I know there's a million kits out there. I have a 73 Nova. I'll be shopping around but if anyone has any advice on the above thought process / favorite kits, that would be great!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Use a quality kit.

Not sure what interchanges with a 73 but I have a 72 and my son has a 70 Chevelle which all interchange.

Over the years I have done them all from piecing things together out of wrecking yards and parts stores to what I have now which is a full Wilwood manual 4 wheel disc set up on my 72.

In the end, the least aggravation and the greatest satisfaction will come from buying a quality kit that is as complete as you can get it and all engineered to work together. If you want to make the car safer, you may be hard pressed to accomplish that with cheap parts. You may or may not have to change the spindles. You will need a Disc/Drum master cylinder and the proper proportioning valve. The booster should work the way it is.

If you have priced the kits you will find there really isn’t much difference in the cost so just pop for a name brand. I found a cheap conversion that uses a Granada disc set up for my wife’s 66 Mustang Convertible. In the end I made it all work but what a PITA! One of the rotors was over machines so the inner wheel bearing grease seal would just fall out. I had to machine the hubs at the outer wheel bearings so they would fit my wheels. The kit was cheap because it was all manufactured in Taiwan. Never again. I didn’t save enough money to make it worth it.

The restoration parts places like Year One or Chevy II Only will have all the components you need to get your parking brake back up and running. I installed a Lokar cable system due to space constraints that is also an excellent option for that.

Steve

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you don't mind getting bigger wheels, a lot of guys are running the LS Camaro brakes front and rear. You will have to get a bracket for the front spindles and may have to do a little mod to them. I think Church Boys has the brackets? But then you have new school 4 wheel disc brakes.:) From what I have seen the rears are a bolt on.:devil: With the e-brake kit 72novaproject listed the LS brake swap should be a piece of cake.
Do some looking around on here. There are quite a few LS brake conversions on here.:yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts