Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished building my 69 nova, it has a sbc 406 with a th-400 in it. I recently went to the track and it was not what I wanted. I am thinking about going to the powerglide because that's what most racers have. So I wanted to know what the experienced people knew since I am new to drag racing. My car is about 75% drag and 25% street. Here is my engine build specs:
4 bolt sbc 406
dart iron eagles 230 runners 2.08 int 1.60
1.65 roller rockers
625 billet solid roller cam
6 inch forged rods
scat 9000 forged crank
heads studs
proform 750 double pump
all msd electronics
3500 stall tq converter.
411 posi

All help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
508 Posts
i think with the powerglide you will slow down unless you are running a power adder. (n2o,turbo,blower) the th400 has a lower first gear so your 60' will be alot beter. and the end gear is 1-1 with both. you might gain alittle mph with a glide but will run slower as ET goes. i think youe combo could use some more carb. a 750 isnt enough for a well biult 406. i went from a biult 800 to a 950 HP holley and gained 50+ HP right out the box. with a little tuning im up to 77 HP over my 800 cfm dp.

·
Registered
152 Posts
dude you put a powerglide in that car you WILL BE FASTER you dont need a power adder the powerglide uses way less horsepower to turn get a 181 first gear in the power glide and a 5000 to 5500 stall and you will be amazed. i picked up a lot of et and mph on a n/a small block in a 72 nove hell i got 1.41 60 foots leaving at 3500 on the trans brake..yes its worth it.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
I recently went to the track and it was not what I wanted.
can you elaborate on that? there's lots of good reasons to run a glide but i don't think it would be very good for your application. light cars or cars with a boatload of torque really like the glide because the taller first gear is not such a big deal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had that transmission rebuilt, and this was my first time to the track. It ran great on the street with the modulator connected. But on my first run it wouldn't shift after I had already disconnected or "plugged" the vacuum for the modulator. So that run was embarrassing. So I had no choice but to reconnect the modulator, and race that way, but the th-400 shifted before I wanted it to from 1st to 2nd. So that run was way slow. only a 8.2 on a
1/8th. The racers at the track were saying to get a powerglide. I actually found one for a nice price. So I am thinking about swapping out my setup.

I also have 2 shots of nitrous 125 hp & 150 hp, but I need to get dialed in on the motor first then the juice.

·
Registered
457 Posts
For 10 years I ran a 400 turbo, last season I swithced to a glide, my car ran EXACTLY the same, EXCEPT, it was 400 RPM lower. I run 4.56 gear, next wek I am going to try a 4.88, this will put it exactly back at the power range it once was, so I expect my car to pick up. My best is 10.98. I will post results after I make the change.
Tony
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/thetpro1/

·
Registered
769 Posts
look into a manual VB for the TH400 since its a strip car more than anything else. or look for a shift kit that allows you to hold a gear while manual slected but shifts auto when in drive. There is no reason a th400 shouldnt work well and since the car is driven some the 2.48 first is nice

·
Registered
562 Posts
if your gonna run nitrous then get the glide, it will be lighter, and it takes less power to run. you might need a deeper gear.the other guy is correct though glides like big torque , and light cars. if you run a power adder you will be ok..

this is one of those deals were everyone has there own .02 everyone has had a good or bad experience with both and know someone who made it work, and someone who hated one.

if i was gonna run an auto i would go th350 with the small block. you get about 50 pounds weight savings over th400, less power to run, and still has 3rd gear so there isnt as big of a gap on shifts. i would get one thats already setup with manual valve body , heavy clutches, and deep pan summit has bnm, and tci.

that was my.02

·
Registered
94 Posts
dude you put a powerglide in that car you WILL BE FASTER you dont need a power adder the powerglide uses way less horsepower to turn get a 181 first gear in the power glide and a 5000 to 5500 stall and you will be amazed. i picked up a lot of et and mph on a n/a small block in a 72 nove hell i got 1.41 60 foots leaving at 3500 on the trans brake..yes its worth it.
Thank you SLOWER? man i guess if you stay with a small tire and a 4.10 gear you maybe slower,but if you want to 60 ft like the big boys you need tall tire and 4.88/5.13 gear and you will soon see the back of your own head from the inside you leave so hard. And you can get differant first gear finals 181/191 it makes a huge diff.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW Now I am getting confused. I figured it would be one sided, but I see some say stay the same and some say change over. I dont know what to do. please help

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well it depends on if you are happy with how fast you are going.
My son is never happy the faster the better. Mid 11s is great to me i worry more about consistancy, thats where you win races unless yer good at fender racing.If you arnt happy then look for places to free up hp.
or get more to the ground! some times it more about getting the torque to the ground. Its all a balancing act.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Why are you removing the vacuum line? Put a decent valve body in the 400 and it will work just fine. Just stuffing a Glide in the car is no guarantee of going faster, I know plenty of guys that switched and had to change converters, and sometime gear ratios to even get back where they started. Anybody that goes faster just swapping to a Glide is pretty lucky.
If your converter is a typical 10" 3500, you'll pick up more from a converter change than a trans change.
BTW, my old heap 60 footed a 1.34 on a 9" street tire with a TH-400 and 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Why are you removing the vacuum line? Put a decent valve body in the 400 and it will work just fine. Just stuffing a Glide in the car is no guarantee of going faster, I know plenty of guys that switched and had to change converters, and sometime gear ratios to even get back where they started. Anybody that goes faster just swapping to a Glide is pretty lucky.
If your converter is a typical 10" 3500, you'll pick up more from a converter change than a trans change.
BTW, my old heap 60 footed a 1.34 on a 9" street tire with a TH-400 and 3.73 gears.
What he said ^
Get an adjustable mod and play with where it hits the best.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I had that transmission rebuilt, and this was my first time to the track. It ran great on the street with the modulator connected. But on my first run it wouldn't shift after I had already disconnected or "plugged" the vacuum for the modulator. So that run was embarrassing. So I had no choice but to reconnect the modulator, and race that way, but the th-400 shifted before I wanted it to from 1st to 2nd. So that run was way slow. only a 8.2 on a
1/8th. The racers at the track were saying to get a powerglide. I actually found one for a nice price. So I am thinking about swapping out my setup.

I also have 2 shots of nitrous 125 hp & 150 hp, but I need to get dialed in on the motor first then the juice.
why did you put the trans in drive and run it :no: put it in first and shift it manually. when you have the trans in automatic mode the modulater will shift when vacume is the highest and that could be real soon. where was the motor shifting at ( what rpm ). i run my trans in manual mode at the track ( modulater hooked up ) and then when i drive home i put it back into drive and let it shift automatically for stop and go ( modulator hooked up ) hey but at least you had fun right post a time slip so we can see what it was doing i hope i dont sound like an rrss sorry if i do. i know plenty of guys running different transmissions but i think your car should work with what its got there is a lot of things to look at first before you start to tare it apart. start with one thing first and see if that was an improvement if not go back to how it was then try another thing and so on and so on. i would hate to see you put a glide in and it still fall on its face then where would you be :D

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I have about the same combo:
468 within a 100HP of yours
3500lbs
4.10 gear
4200 stall
Mine went 7.60 with a 1.7 to 1.8 60ft with the glide at 99mph in the 1/8 with a 3500 stall speed.

I swapped to a T-350 and a 4200 stall and the car dropped to 1.5 60ft and went 7.30's at 95mph.
I would go with a T-350 with your power level and would go with a 3 speed no matter what. I'm not an expert by any means but the glide gear ratio and spread is to wide with a 3500lbs car. If the car weighed 2500 a glide would be a good choice. The T400 uses a bit more power to operate over a T350 or a glide but I have never saw firm numbers on HP loss.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have about the same combo:
468 within a 100HP of yours
3500lbs
4.10 gear
4200 stall
Mine went 7.60 with a 1.7 to 1.8 60ft with the glide at 99mph in the 1/8 with a 3500 stall speed.

I swapped to a T-350 and a 4200 stall and the car dropped to 1.5 60ft and went 7.30's at 95mph.
I would go with a T-350 with your power level and would go with a 3 speed no matter what. I'm not an expert by any means but the glide gear ratio and spread is to wide with a 3500lbs car. If the car weighed 2500 a glide would be a good choice. The T400 uses a bit more power to operate over a T350 or a glide but I have never saw firm numbers on HP loss.
Well you had a tight converter for a glide, I cant say that its fair to compare the two. What first gear was in the glide ?

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Well you had a tight converter for a glide, I cant say that its fair to compare the two. What first gear was in the glide ?
It was the higher 1.76 ratio I don't think a 5500rpm stall would have helped. The trans would flash to almost 4000. IMO my car was too heavy for that high of a gear.
With a 1.76 and 4.10 gears it had a final drive of 7.216
With a 2.52 and 4.10 gears it had a final drive of 10.332
It would take a really good converter to make up 3.116 difference in final drive gear ratio.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts