Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backround: TH350 came out of a 69 Camaro, I want to swap it out with current 2 speed Powerglide. For now it will run behind the current 194ci Inline 6 (64 Nova).

-Will it bolt right in?
-What parts do I need?
-What should I expect?

Any advice will be helpful !!!

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
They physically swap, same size.
I suggest counting the teeth on both flywheels to see if they are the same.
You'll need to use a torque convertor for a Turbo 350.

Enjoy the new spunk from the swap!

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
You will need to notch your crossmember as the front of the TH350 oil pan hits it a bit.

Pretty straightforward swap though.

If the converter on the TH350 uses nut/bolt combo rather than the converter having threaded lugs on it for a bolt, then the flywheels should interchange.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any worries to consider with drive shaft?

TH350 came with Torque converter,can I use this?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Easy swap. Falls right in. I did this swap in my 64 when replacing the stickshift 3 speed behind the 194 6 cyl. Notch the front flange off the crossmember to clear the TH350 pan. No driveshaft modifications needed. Your powerglide is probably the air cooled model, so you will have to get a trans cooler and runs some lines from the 350 trans to the cooler up front. Make sure you have a TH350 converter and that it uses the nut/bolt mount up style and you should be able to reuse your PG flexplate. As far as hooking up the column shifter, I'm not sure in your situation. I don't know if the PG shifter can be adapted. Mine was a manual shift model and I ended up using the automatic shift linkage assembly from a 73-87 Chevy fullsize C-10 truck to hook it up to my column shift.

·
Registered
461 Posts
1.Notch cross member
2.Trans lines
3.Trans cooler (if you still have the stock radiator)

I reused my flywheel. Also I believe the yolks are different on the first gen glides. On the 69 the driveshaft went right in but had to swap the yolk on the 62. I also got a long column shifter rod form a truck and made my column shifter work. You may also want to replace the seals and flywheel now if needed. I always replace the front pump seal on the trans.
Do not forget the kickdown and hook up the modulator.

·
Registered
122 Posts
powerglide TH350 swap

So if I am reading this correctly.... there is no moving the trans mount back at all?
All I should have to do is a possible notch in it... right?? The Guy that's building mine says that I do not need a kick down cable and that the vacuum hookup should take care of that. Said if I want to drop a gear, to just down shift?

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
You can get all the swap parts from C2O or Modern Performance. I just did this in mine and got the following, not all of which you HAVE to have to get going down the road...
Hughes Street/Strip th350
Summit Flex plate
B&M Torque Converter
C2O Stainless trans lines going into a C2O Optima radiator
Lokar Dipstick
C2O Stainless modulator line
C2O TH350 conversion kit (New Crossmember, Kickdown Cable, Trans mount)
Had to modify the kickdown cable bracket to fit my vortec manifold.
C2O Column Shifter Adapter kit
Also bought a steering column th350 pattern column dial.

Feels like I'm forgetting something (It's nearly 2 AM here). But it bolted in easily, with no clearance issues, and of course the driveshaft is the same.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Powerglide TH350 swap

OK! I have th350 torque conv.
Trans lines, trans cooler, going to use
PG cross member but as stated above,
It may need to be notched. I will not be running
any kick cable due to complexity and placement
of the linkage hookup on roch2bbl carb. The hookup
is facing firewall. Other than that, is there anything else?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts