Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been established...well many times, but I'm looking for some reassurance in this crazy mixed-up world. In my 68, I'm swapping the stock Powerglide for a TCI Street Fighter TH-350. I have the tranny, convertor, flywheel, cooler lines, Pro Stick Shifter, etc all set up and ready to go.

I read here that the driveshaft along with the crossmember will match up, is there anything I'm missing that won't be a direct swap?

Thanks, and I'll take pics.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
sLOW63 said:
you need to change the drive shaft yoke(splines are diff sizes), length should be ok just need new yoke
I didn't. I used the original one that poked into the PG. Worked just fine with a stock TH350. Is the TCI tranny different?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
maybe the newer pg trannys had the same splines as th 350s, ive on a couple occasions had to change the yokes in this same swap, in a 1st gen nova

check it by eye, there is a deffinate diff in the two, one has about twice as many splines as the other (think theyre called fine and coarse splined)

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
my '69 came with a powerslide and i believe they used the same yoke... other than that, i think everything else was the same. cc or hrm has a gm auto trans guide, you'll have to search their site for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have been offered this: trade my powerglide and $150 for a new th350 and convertor that has 100 miles on it.
is this worth it or can i get more for my powerglide if i sell it out right.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
imo, powerglides are only good as cores when you go to get a transmission from a transmission shop. unless you're a drag racer that's going to put 2 grand into it, i'd say a better performing th350 and convertor would be worth it. make sure the "new" trans is good, the convertor as well. your car will perform better with a th350.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
I have a bulletproof glide, hardened input shaft/hub, race clutches, transbrake, manual valve body, 3500 stall and my friend (who owns a large tranny shop locally) wants to build and trade me a brand new rebuilt TH350 with the blue race clutches, hardened sprags, shift kit of my choice, stall of my choice.

The glide and 3500 stall I have works great but I think it is a little too much for my application. Even with the 3500 stall it bangs second gear and jars the whole car.:eek: It's pretty violent when shifting.:beat:

I'm thinking a nicely built TH350 with a 2,500-2,800 stall converter will be just fine. My hyd. cam produces power between 2,000 and 6,000. i think I am robbing low end torque and HP by having such a large stall on such a mild application.

Any thoughts or input??:D :beer:

Dave

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
FunkyNova66 said:
I'm thinking a nicely built TH350 with a 2,500-2,800 stall converter will be just fine. My hyd. cam produces power between 2,000 and 6,000. i think I am robbing low end torque and HP by having such a large stall on such a mild application.

Dave
I'm curious about this too, since I was considering upping my stall speed this winter to make better use of my engine output at the track.

I may have a 2500 converter for you.....:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
FunkyNova66 said:
Is the cross member/transmount different between a glide and TH-350 on a 1st/2nd gen? Is the drive shaft the same length between a glide and a short shaft TH-350?

curious...I'm thinking of removing my race glide and going back with a TH-350.

Thanks,
Dave
I swaped a PG for a TH350 years ago in a '66 post and didn't change cross member or yoke. Bolted right up.

Luke

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
yeah, me too. well, the shop did it. but they told me that they didn't have to change anything. there are no extra bolt holes for the crossmember in the rails, so that stayed in the same place. and i'm still using the same driveshaft and everything.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
FunkyNova66 said:
I have a bulletproof glide, hardened input shaft/hub, race clutches, transbrake, manual valve body, 3500 stall and my friend (who owns a large tranny shop locally) wants to build and trade me a brand new rebuilt TH350 with the blue race clutches, hardened sprags, shift kit of my choice, stall of my choice.

The glide and 3500 stall I have works great but I think it is a little too much for my application. Even with the 3500 stall it bangs second gear and jars the whole car.:eek: It's pretty violent when shifting.:beat:

Dave
Greetings,

I'm running the Comp Cams 292H in mine and the TH350 has a TCI Break-A-Way in it (around 2800 stall). I have plenty of low end power (it'll bark the tires when it shifts and off the line with 3.42 gears and an Auburn Pro differential) and it really screams in the top end. I drive mine daily and don't notice any real issues. Now if I went with a smaller cam and stall, I'd probably have even more low-end torque, but I like the sound of the cam I've got so I'm stuck with it.

Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts