Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a Hughes/Dedenbear powerglide and a Hurst Quarterstick in my '67 bracket car. I've only had the car a few weeks and after my first couple passes, I noticed the trans wouldn't lock into Park. After adjusting the cable a turn, it would stay in Park most of the time but, on the 1-2 shift the motor would flare (like speed-shifting a four speed). Some guys in the pits said that the CO2 solenoid was hitting the shifter hard enough to overshoot the 1-2 shift slightly. I adjusted the cable back and that cleared the motor flare on the 1-2 shift. As you may have guessed, I have no Park. If I adjust the cable to fully engage the Park position, then the shifter won't fully engage 1st gear.

The Pro transbrake keeps the car from moving when I start it, so it is just a hassle without Park. It seems like the shifter movement is a shorter distance than the trans shiftarm movement. If I take the cable out with the shifter in Park, the shiftarm rotates out of park.

It looks like if I drill a new hole just above the original cable pivot hole, it would increase the movement of the shiftarm for the same travel of the shifter/cable. Does that make sense? Sorry for the long wind, but it's not the easiest thing to explain...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
JoeII

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I'd bet the arm on the trans is not the right arm for the quarter stick shifter. The arms on both my transmissions have several holes in them to resolve this issue. If you can redrill your arm that should fix the problem. I think my shifter actually came with a arm for the trans. Seems like it had the shaft attached and required dropping the pan to install. Been awhile so I may be wrong on the arm but that is what will fix your problem. I use an electric shifter solonoid on mine but it works fine. My Beretta had the same shifter in it too. RM

·
Registered
87 Posts
You have to adjust the shifter from the neutral position by disconnecting the shifter and manually putting the trans in neutral as well as the shifter in neutral. Then adjust the cable to get a good fit and hook it back up. That should do it. There is no adjustment needed if you have the correct shifter for a powerglide
It will also be different if you have a reverse manual valve body too. So you may want to check that. :D

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
My 2 cents....

Sounds like one of two things:

• 1. the shifter cable is worn. If the cable is stretched and loses it's rigidity then the shifter cable is "flembsy" unable to fully engage the gears.
  • 2. Like the Real McCoy said the shifter bar is incorrect for the shifter and needs redrilled for proper shifter "throw".

My buddy's camaro did the same exact thing. Either park (with it shifting into 2nd automatically no matter if he had the shifter manually pulled in 1st)or 1st. I suspected a stretched shifter cable. My other buddy donated a similar shifter and it didn't have any problem.

In fact, we swapped his tranny out b/c he thought it was a tranny problem.:rolleyes: 6 hours of fighting it in my garage....ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

Dave:D :D (smart people learn from their own mistakes, intelligent people learn from others ;) ).

·
Registered
87 Posts
The thought ofa worn cable never even came to my mind. Good thinking. That could be it. :confused:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
just a teeeny itsy bitsy amount of misadjustment is just that... misadjustment.

that's what i'd check for first. (plus confirming all parts are correct for application)

i've used several cable operated shifters and never had a cable stretch... if ya bang on 'em like ya think yer allowed to, they don't really stretch, they fail... so then ya replace the cable... not sayin' it don't happen... but of all the bad cables i've seen... most of the bad cables went south due to incorrect routing (burnt on exhaust or worn through)... or broken due ta hammering.

hope i helped (not sayin' i'm right and anyones wrong, just a .02 thought):D

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Definatley check to ENSURE the shifter is right on the shifts and that the cable is NOT burnt like Johnny is saying first..

But I can tell you this.

He bought the shifter for his Camaro back in 1994 and installed it himself. Shifter, cable and shifter bar. All the parts were correct for his application. It worked correctly for 12 years on a daily driver. After we installed his new TH350 (b/c he thought it was a tranny issue), it would not engage 1st and park fully (just like his old transmission). I sat in my cul-de-sac for 2 hours trying to adjust his shifter with no success (even burnt my neck up on his exhaust:eek: ). Either his shifter was bad (which I doubt b/c his shifter had no play and was shifting solid) or the cable was stretched but when he replaced the whole shifter kit, it worked. The only conclusion I came to is the cable must have stretched or was worn. The cable had no burns from the exhaust.

Take it for what it's worth. I just thought I would share my experience.

Dave:p :D

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Adjusting the cable to fit in neutral is only the first step of the adjustment process. Hurst has a pdf on their website that gives all of the steps for proper adjustment of the shifter. It will also show you what the correct shifter arm looks like, and what hole to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts