Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be working on the glide next week and wondered when the trans was built.
I was told it is from a 1964, yet I feel that it was later.

The pan code is: CO7O9D

It is 25" long and has the oil cooler lines.

Thank you for the advise. I wonder what first gear ratio is on this one?

Weasel

·
13,679 Posts
I don't believe you can tell the year from this code. It only gives the plant (Cleveland), month (July), day (9th) and shift (Day).

Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob,

I will note your info. I guess when its disassembled I will fine out more as to the first gear ratio.

Weasel

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
I was told it is from a 1964, yet I feel that it was later
Prior to 1967, date codes were not available/included in the casting #'s.

From 1967 on, the second digit indicated the manufacture year.

Example: P9E03 - (P = TYPE, 9 = year (1969), E = Month, 03 = Day of Month)

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
There are a few visual clues that can help generally determine the year. 62-63 PGs will have a coarse-spline output shaft. The early ones also have rectangular instead of circular vent holes in the bellhousing. When the change was I am not 100% sure, but I have a 63 & a 65 PG, and the 63 has rectangular holes with the 65 being round. I am used to seeing on the early PGs the bosses for cooler lines blank and not drilled out. My 65 is drilled and capped from the factory (it did not have the tranny cooler option). If it is an SS car the shifter linkage assembly coming out of the trans is different (63-64 & 65-67) due to the different floor shifter design. I seem to remember the script the word "Poweglide" is written in is different on the earlier ones than it is on the later ones.

Basically my rule of thumb is there are 62-63 PGs and 65-67 PGs with 64 being a transitional year (fine spline output shaft but early shifter mechanism and the possibility of cooler lines).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts