Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP - Let me start by saying I have done very little work on auto transmissions and this is the first powerglide I have ever owned, so I have a very steep learning curve ahead.

Now to my question. I am trying to line up the shift indication on the column and the gears. I try to adjust the shift linkage by the shop manual and it is not working as I understand it. It seems I may have alot of slop in the shift shaft at the transmission. I can disconnect the shift linkage at the bottom of the column and move the shift shaft at the transmission into the park position and move the transmission through all the gears. I do feel the indents in the transmission for each gear selection. Where my problem occurs is when I move the shift shaft in one directrion the shaft will turn for quite a ways (several inches on the shift linkage before anything inside the transmission appears to start moving. If you start in park the shift shaft will move through the slop then begin to change gears, then if you change direction you get the slop in that direction and then it starts changing gears again.

Does that make sense? Is this normal I would assume not? I can understand alittle slop but this seems way excessive. Anyone experienced this and/or know what to do to fix it? I am sure I am going to have to drop the pan to have a look see but I wanted to see if anmyone knew what I was going to find when I get there and what parts I am going to have to find.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I have the same problem with my 63 ragtop. I did not look into finding a cure as I will be installing a PG with a floor shifter. Good luck in finding the fix.

:ragtop:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I'll have to open the pan and see if I can find the problem Where is a good source for parts? There's bound to be places since these thing appear to be used by racers so much.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the issue with the transmission shifting linkage. The range selector inner lever was slipping on the shift shaft. So much so that the shift shaft has two grooves cut into the shaft where the range selector inner lever contacts the shaft. The teeth on the inner lever cut through the splines made into the shift shaft.

Anybody know where I can get a replacment shift shaft or how this one might be repaired? I might could get the grooves welded over and the shaft machined to the right diameter but how to recut the splines I'm not too sure about.

Ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
HELP - Let me start by saying I have done very little work on auto transmissions and this is the first powerglide I have ever owned, so I have a very steep learning curve ahead.

Now to my question. I am trying to line up the shift indication on the column and the gears. I try to adjust the shift linkage by the shop manual and it is not working as I understand it. It seems I may have alot of slop in the shift shaft at the transmission. I can disconnect the shift linkage at the bottom of the column and move the shift shaft at the transmission into the park position and move the transmission through all the gears. I do feel the indents in the transmission for each gear selection. Where my problem occurs is when I move the shift shaft in one directrion the shaft will turn for quite a ways (several inches on the shift linkage before anything inside the transmission appears to start moving. If you start in park the shift shaft will move through the slop then begin to change gears, then if you change direction you get the slop in that direction and then it starts changing gears again.

Does that make sense? Is this normal I would assume not? I can understand alittle slop but this seems way excessive. Anyone experienced this and/or know what to do to fix it? I am sure I am going to have to drop the pan to have a look see but I wanted to see if anmyone knew what I was going to find when I get there and what parts I am going to have to find.

Thanks in advance for the feedback
I had same problem here is what i found and did and it helped alot...where the linkage from transmission goes through your adjustment linkage that is bolted to frame of car..I took that linkage off and the pin that held the bushing had the spot weld broke that let the pin have a lot of slop rocking back and forth ( welded the pin back to the plate and it took care of a bunch of slop...just a suggestion to look at that pin and see if the welds broke and is not wobbling around>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My problem is definitely in the transmission and a replacement shift shaft is going to be needed if I can find one. If I can't find one I'll see if a machine shop can repair mine.

Found a shop that builds race powerglides said he had a core that still had the original shaft went over he pulled the shaft and it was worn just like mine so it seems this might not be unusual. Based on a search on this site it seems others have had my same symptoms that I had but usually didn't post their repair so they may have had my same problem and went another route for repair.

At first I did just tighten the inner shift lever on the shift shaft and it would shift like normal. While i was there I removed the shift shaft to replace the seal that was when I found the damage to the shaft. I would just put it back together but I am concerned over time it will begin to slip again

·
Registered
19 Posts
My problem is definitely in the transmission and a replacement shift shaft is going to be needed if I can find one. If I can't find one I'll see if a machine shop can repair mine.

Found a shop that builds race powerglides said he had a core that still had the original shaft went over he pulled the shaft and it was worn just like mine so it seems this might not be unusual. Based on a search on this site it seems others have had my same symptoms that I had but usually didn't post their repair so they may have had my same problem and went another route for repair.

At first I did just tighten the inner shift lever on the shift shaft and it would shift like normal. While i was there I removed the shift shaft to replace the seal that was when I found the damage to the shaft. I would just put it back together but I am concerned over time it will begin to slip again
sorry i didn't read all your post on this now i am gonna check my shift shaft..thanks for sharing..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts