Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '64 more door with rebuilt factory column shifted powerglide and I have just bolted my small block in and found that the stock rod linkage for the column shift won't clear my headers.

Has anyone out there put a B&M floor shifter in a first gen Nova? If so, could you share with me the model/part #'s so I can be sure to get the right one after I cut off my column linkage? Jeg's has some nice B&M's, but I don't want to buy a model that's not going to be the best fit/choice for my Nova.

HELP!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
309 Posts
The kugel shifter linkage will allow you to use your column shifter and it's only $44, but you will need to change you shift selector shaft to the B&M one that is part number 70497 but you have to toss you down shift linkage,will still work like an automatic except down shifting to pass someone and it's 25-30 bucks still way cheaper than a floor shifter in which case you still have to toss the down shift linkage and install the shift selector shaft

·
Registered
364 Posts
thmpsn70 is correct. I just recently changed my column shift to a Hurst Pro Matic ratchet shifter in my 65. (powerglide) You have to drop the pan, change the shift selector shaft and my kickdown linkage wouldn't fit after the install. I also had to drop my tranny a little as I couldn't get the selector shaft out due to the hump. The transmission shifts fine, just won't kick down. But that's when you manually slam her down!:devil: It sounds like a lot, but it really wasn't that bad of a swap. I did the complete swap and that was the first time I ever "operated" on a transmission.:yes: Good luck with it. I can send you pics of the change if you want to see it installed in the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pics please!

I have a 63 wagon and i F'ing hate the column shifter ever since ive had to tear apart my column to do the turn signal switch. Looking at the B&M unimatic for my powerglide and i was wondering how the cable select works? Please endulge with pics if possible. Thanks- Ben

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
shifter

i have a '64 nova with a 350 turbo and had a b&m quicksilver installed. it seems to work fine. don't believe there were any problems w/installation. works fine. not sure if i have passing gear tho. never tried it. usually down shift manually.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hurst Pro Matic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts