Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever converted a 1969-72 column shift powerglide car to a factory powerglide floor shifter with a console? I have a powerglide shifter from a 1967 camaro and a 1969-72 console. I'd appreciate any advice on linkage, and backup reverse wiring. My shifter does have a nuetral safety switch. I really like the original black push button shifters. Thanks Kyle

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
If you have the powerglide shifter, it should be a piece of cake! To do it right, you would need to switch you column out for a floor shift column. If the powerglide shift lever on the trans is the same as on a TH350, you will re-use the shift linkage from the trans to the column. That will give you the reverse lights, if the switch on the column is adjusted correctly. The 67 Camaro shifter has the reverse switch because the 67 Camaro has the ignition switch on the dash instead of the column, so the neutral safety switch won't be needed. That will be in the column also. There will be a link that goes from the shifter to the lever on the trans. When you move the shifter, it will move the collar on the column, much like the column shifter does, but there are no detents. All the column collar does is pull the gear indicator, and activate the neutral switch and the reverse light switch.

Randy (hope I explained it clear enough!!);)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts