Chevy Nova Forum banner

power trunk release - anyone done this?

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  NEVER FINISHED64 
#1 ·
thinking of putting a power trunk release in but dont really want to see it.. has anyone done this and had good results appearance wise? would love to see pics on 62-67 cars (mine is a 67)

#3 ·
It seems to me I've seen some cable style electric trunk releases on some late model GM cars. They have the solenoid remotely mounted connected to a bicycle style brake cable that the end on this goes into the latch assembly to trip the release catch.
I think too Autoloc has a basic trunk release solenoid that is similiar to the ones I've seen factory installed with the remote solenoid.

Jim

#6 ·
agreed, thats the only reason i didn't go power on mine, i wanted to shave the lock, but this situation could really put a damper on things getting into a car with no handles and electric poppers is a million times easier than getting into the trunk....but from your post it seems like you might keep the keyed lock but just have this in addition to it

#10 ·
I used a power door lock. Could not make the cable type work. Could not find any for the early cars. I could get the cable to open it but could not get a spring to pull back the reset the lock. When I found a spring strong enough to pull it back it was to strong for the solenoid.

#11 ·
Vacuum trunk release

Have you tried a factory Vacuum trunk release? They pop up on eBay now and then. I have one in my 67 SS and works everytime. You still can use your key to open if it does not work. I have mine in there since 98 and has never failed.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

#12 ·
I have the autoloc system, It has a few circuits that all work off the remote for doors and windows.. Doors are wired up, the trunk is next.

And good advice to have a stand by system to unlock it. I did that with the doors. I have a keyed lock under the rocker that when used the lock cylinder comes out of the housing and its attached to the cable that unlocks the door, all mechanical at that point. Ill do the same for the trunk. JR

#17 ·
When I got my car the lock had been broken and tweaked so I welded in the hole and used an electric opener off a buick from the local junk yard. I went to the bike shop and bought a brake cable for a couple of bucks and routed it up next to the top of the back seat. Easy to get to and you really can't see it the only thing exposed is the small ball portion of the cable that normally fits into the hand lever of the bike brake.

Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.