Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let you guys know that i actually found a manual steering box, pitman arm, and rag joint from a 69 camaro for 50 bucks! Plus, it doesn't have a spec of rust on it. I started around 8:30 and had everything buttoned up around 11:00 or so. I had the old box ready to drop except for one bolt on the rag joint, then Scojack came by and pryed on it for me while i was under the car...forgot how heavy those boxes are and almost crushed my hand:mad:. After he left i got the new box in and got everything bolted back up.

Before, it was way too sensitive and i hated to look at it.

After, now the steering wheel wont lock up like when i tried to plug the power box :eek::D lol.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks good. Im gettin ready to do this myself. Any install tips or special tools needed? Will need a pitman arm puller correct? Did you disconnect the pitman arm from the box 1st? Thanks

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The box came with the pitman arm already attached. What i did was just disconnect the end of the driver side tierod from the center link and then just drop the center link out of the way. Tip: the box is much heavier than you realize so when it comes down either have two hands on it or get the hell out of the way because i almost had my hand crushed! Another tip is to have someone there to help you line it up because i was definitely struggling but i managed to do it myself. Like i said i had everything done in about 3 hours, would have been a lot less if i had a hand but it was all good.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The box came with the pitman arm already attached. What i did was just disconnect the end of the driver side tierod from the center link and then just drop the center link out of the way. Tip: the box is much heavier than you realize so when it comes down either have two hands on it or get the hell out of the way because i almost had my hand crushed! Another tip is to have someone there to help you line it up because i was definitely struggling but i managed to do it myself. Like i said i had everything done in about 3 hours, would have been a lot less if i had a hand but it was all good.
looks good
and yes the box is heavier than you think it's gonna be

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
looks good
and yes the box is heavier than you think it's gonna be
i agree...
i relived my install reading your thread.
i recall almost crushing my hand dropping the box.
my car steers easier and is fine with the manual box with skinnies up front.
i am finally starting to realize what i thought id never cared about...
i kind of miss the power box on a driver.
i have two in the shed just in case.
but like many people.
i hated the look of it, wanted the weight savings and increased header clearance.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just took it for a quick drive, it feels really good, and its not nearly as jumpy anymore, but yes i already miss the quicker ratio of a power box, went to take the first turn and it caught me by surprise lol. looking forward to a manual rack in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts