Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for pictures of stock power steering. Any '62-'67, V8 or I6.
I'm adding this to my '63, and realize ther's gona be a clearance issue when running a V8, with a rear sump. I'll probably have to have an oil pan fabricated......

Anyway, any pics would be appreciated.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't have any pictures ut I researched this myself several years ago when I had a '66 2 door post. The set up is just like that on early Mustangs, there is a "helper" cylinder that runs horizontally along the drag link. I don't rememer if it ran in front of or ehind it, I had a V-8 conversion kit on mine with the front sump pan.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If you want to use factory-style power steering, you'll have to fabricate your own pan. No aftermarket rear-sump pan works with PS. I think you're wasting your time. You'll have to cut so much away to get it to work, I doubt it will hold enough even if it does clear. If it could work, the aftermarket probably would have already created one.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Power steering rear sump pan?

Hey Now. This will not work on rear sump pan. :eek: The power ram is in front of the drag link. Even the stock exhaust is difficult. Only two headers will clear, Hedman and Flowtech. Check out the Chevette Conversion, it works. And some of the Nova Nut's like me use it. Sincerely, "Bill's" II :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Mine was stock with power steering before I removed it.It had front sump pan. I changed to "Bills II" rack and pinion steering. I,m trying to sell all the other stuff I took off [all in great condition]. I have everything from idler arm and bracket to the Pitman arm and steering box [and everything between] plus the power steering unit,brackets and slave cylinder and high pressure hoses.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Power Steering with rear Sump Pan?

Hey Now. Front sump pan with factory power steering works OK. The pan clears like the factory designed it. You will need the front sump pick-up tube, the oil pump for chevy II, and oil pump drive shaft. You will have to drill and tap a mounting hole in the block to bolt in the front sump pick-up tube. You will need the added right side bracket that bolts to the front sub fram. This is to provide the ram a push/pull point. You need the power steering gear box. Brackets for power steering pump are different and so is the alternator mounting bracket. The power steering hoses to control valve are for Chevy II only. Sincerely, "Bill's II Chevynuts88 listed the parts he has. :cool:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If you decide to stay/go with a front sump, you can use this pic as a reference...

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
2 Posts
do u have oil pan for this setup too

chevynuts88 said:
Mine was stock with power steering before I removed it.It had front sump pan. I changed to "Bills II" rack and pinion steering. I,m trying to sell all the other stuff I took off [all in great condition]. I have everything from idler arm and bracket to the Pitman arm and steering box [and everything between] plus the power steering unit,brackets and slave cylinder and high pressure hoses.
i need the oil pan and steering box but would buy it all if the price is right ,thanx for ur time . bigmicj. have a good day

·
Registered
2 Posts
BTHOMAS67Wagon said:
If you decide to stay/go with a front sump, you can use this pic as a reference...

-Brent Thomas
Ohio
brent do u have knowledge of where i can buy a oil pan for my 66 nova .i have the power steering setup but no pan for it and i have a moroso on it now with stock manual steering..thanx for ur time on this question..have a good day bigmicj

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
BigJ,
If you are in need of a stock Pan any Chevy/Nova Catalog will have it. What kind of condition are you looking for ?! (new or daily driver)

I only ask, because I might have a dented up on in the garage you are more then welcome to?

I see you are in Ohio?

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

1 - 11 of 11 Posts