Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never played with the p/s on the early cars much. Matter of fact the only time I touched them is to swap it for a manual setup!

I have a cousin that has a 66 w/ some problems. The stud that connects to the pitman arm is is way to sloppy. Can they be rebuilt? Anyone know which parts to ask for or a place to find a good used one? What should I be asking for (power steering control valve?)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hey duece,

I believe you are indeed talking about the stud in the Control Valve. The stud is held in place by a pair of "concave wedges" (sorry, I'd have to look up the real name) but is depress by a spring. None the less, rebuilding your control is pretty simple. Let me know if you need details, I have done a couple and have a semi-complete walkthrough.

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hey duece,

The spring I was talking about is #6 in the pic below.

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...just ordered a rebuild kit from a Corvette supplier. The hydraulic side appears fine but, the ball stud is waaay loose.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes, I think the last I looked the corvette dealers have the rebuild kits cheaper then the couple nova dealers.

Did you buy a kit with a new stud or just a seal/rebuild kit?

(I think the stud is about 30 bucks)

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
329 Posts
After finally getting my car going three years later, I see I have a leak around the ball stud.
could one of you please lmk the part number for the rebuild kit.
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hey guys, I'm really interested in the best prices on parts to rebuild these units. I am also looking to source slave cylinder parts, especially the shafts and searls for them. I have one cylinder with a pitted shaft that needs replacement. Any info is appreciated. thanx

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Jay,

I bought 3-4 Rebuild kts from a guy on ebay a couple of years ago, but then I found NAPA stocked them and just about all Corvette Part Houses have it for the same "fair price". As far as the stud, I think I only purchases one from C2O, because the treads where gone. (I'd like to help more on this, but am afraid that my post will be remove, if I start throwing out vendor names and who I have had luck with and not)

Anyway, as far as the Slave Cylinder, I don't believe they sell them and you'll be stuck with purchasing a new one, unless someone knows where to score the replacement parts?!?! Yes, you can buy the spring, seals, rubber kit, but a bent or pitted shaft and you are stuck.

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

1 - 8 of 8 Posts