Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The other day my boyfriend and I took out my power steering pump which was original to the car and in pretty bad shape... everything was going ok until we couldn't get the pulley off the front.

I need to buy a new pulley because in the attempt to remove it from the old pump, it got bent...

Anyone know where I can get one relatively cheap? I found some that I could order through Autozone but it seems a little pricey. If I have to, I have to. But I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
You'll need a PS pully removal kit and you can pick up a pully at the local junk yard just about all GM vehicles in the 70's and mid 80's used the same pully, just take the old one with you and find a match.
Actually, there were a number of different PS pulleys so using the old one for a match is a good idea.

Some differences to watch for include:
1) Number of belt grooves (usually only 1 but some applications are double groove)
2) Offset (some pulleys dish back closer to the pump than others)
3) Shaft style (retainer nut or press fit)

The early year pulleys (up until 74 or so) are held in place with a nut threaded onto the end of the PS pump shaft. You can usually remove these without a puller tool. But sometimes the shaft and/or pulley bore gets a little rusty, making the tool necessary. These pulleys and PS pump shafts are slotted for a key that keeps the pulley from spinning on the shaft.

The later year pulleys are a press fit onto the PS pump shaft. The shaft is slighly larger diameter than the earlier ones and there's no key slot. This style absolutely requires the puller tool. And to install the pulley, the pump has a threaded hole in the end of the shaft (don't hammer the pulley back on or it'll damage the pump).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts