Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do some restoration and trying to determine what color the gearbox was, if any at all...or was it just bare cast iron?

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Guessing bare cast iron with possible paint daubs or crayon writing. GM left a lot of stuff bare metal.

I have seen paint marks across the large nut and sector shaft, I think indicating proper torque on the nut. Often yellow in color. I have also seen paint stripes on pitman arms, probably used to identify application.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beer ox

Thanks so much, ....did find an original yellow oval shaped sticker on the box cover.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thanks so much, ....did find an original yellow oval shaped sticker on the box cover.
The yellow oval sticker is correct, and only found on power assist boxes - typically on the housing cover.

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
If you can, post some pics of the finished box so we can see how it came out. :yes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I removed mine from my 62 last year, which my family has owned since new. Yes, bare cast iron with no paint.

Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steering box

Gotta admit, the work turned out really nice. Just gotta figure out how post pictures on here. Thanks again for the intel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts