Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2 speed Power Glide in my 1962 Chevy II, Series 100 (153 four-cylinder) has a vibration when you put it in gear.
It idles smooth when in PARK but when you pull it down into DRIVE there is a vibration. Once you start driving, it either disappears or becomes unnoticable. The car sat for years and was not driven. The fluid and filter has been changed.
Any thoughts and ideas would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

·
4,534 Posts
Does it seem to be an internal vibration or is the exhaust touching the body when in gear? Sometimes bad, soft, or broken engine/tranny mounts can let things touch and rub in gear.

Miles

Reactions: RifRaf

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i can't help you with the vibration your getting but i do like seeing those old 4 cylinder engines. do you have any pics to post.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I doubt the vibration is coming from inside the transmission. As the guy above stated, check your exhaust hangers. Make sure they are all rubber mounted and that the rubber isn't gone and it is metal to metal somewhere. Make sure the exhaust isn't touching the frame or body. With the motor off, slide under the car with a rubber mallet and bang on the exhuast pipe in a few different locations and see if you hear any metal to metal noises. Grab the exhaust with your hand and see how much you can move it. Listen for noises. Check your motor mounts and transmission mount. When the car is in gear, does the motor move a lot? If the car has been sitting a long time, you might need to replace the motor and transmission mounts.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My thoughts are at first blush, not a transmission problem. Agree with the above posts about loose exhaust or motor mount. With a 4 cylinder, it should be easy to identify. Get a buddy to sit in it while you inspect with a stethoscope or a long screw driver. I bought a cheap stethoscope at Harbor Freight years ago and that thing has proven to be a very useful tool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt the vibration is coming from inside the transmission. As the guy above stated, check your exhaust hangers. Make sure they are all rubber mounted and that the rubber isn't gone and it is metal to metal somewhere. Make sure the exhaust isn't touching the frame or body. With the motor off, slide under the car with a rubber mallet and bang on the exhuast pipe in a few different locations and see if you hear any metal to metal noises. Grab the exhaust with your hand and see how much you can move it. Listen for noises. Check your motor mounts and transmission mount. When the car is in gear, does the motor move a lot? If the car has been sitting a long time, you might need to replace the motor and transmission mounts.
My thoughts are at first blush, not a transmission problem. Agree with the above posts about loose exhaust or motor mount. With a 4 cylinder, it should be easy to identify. Get a buddy to sit in it while you inspect with a stethoscope or a long screw driver. I bought a cheap stethoscope at Harbor Freight years ago and that thing has proven to be a very useful tool.
Hope it isn't the PG.
So you think the rubber in the mounts may be suspect from sitting? Kind of makes sense because the sun and heat sure cooked the headliner and cloth interior. I will check it out. Thanks
So you think the rubber in the mounts may be suspect from sitting? Kind of makes sense because the sun and heat sure co
The 2 speed Power Glide in my 1962 Chevy II, Series 100 (153 four-cylinder) has a vibration when you put it in gear.
It idles smooth when in PARK but when you pull it down into DRIVE there is a vibration. Once you start driving, it either disappears or becomes unnoticable. The car sat for years and was not driven. The fluid and filter has been changed.
Any thoughts and ideas would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Dave
Hi Chevy II Guy,
I'm still having a little trouble figuring out how to reply properly to different posts and also posting photos.

So you think the rubber in the mounts may be suspect from sitting? Kind of makes sense because the sun and heat sure cooked the headliner and cloth interior. I will check it out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hi Chevy II Guy,
I'm still having a little trouble figuring out how to reply properly to different posts and also posting photos.

[/QUOTE]

Motor and transmission mounts are rubber. They dry rot and deteriorate. Also, these old cars tend to have oil leaks so if the motor mounts were soaked in oil for a long period of time, they become mushy and fall apart and could be metal to metal. If they are in bad shape, they could be letting the motor more than it should when you pull it into gear, causing the exhaust or something to vibrate up against the body or something. My main point was that this doesn't sound like a transmission problem. If you have access to a lift, I would put someone in the car, lift it in the air, start it and pull it in gear, and walk under it to see if you can identify where the sound is coming from and if anything is vibrating. That is probably the easiest way to identify the issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am thinking it is a bad vacuum hose.
In gear, your vacuum leak shows up.
Start the engine, Pull the pcv valve out of the rocker cover, and cover it with a plastic bag.
Then put it in gear.
Smoother?
Start hunting for vacuum leaks to the heater, distributor to see if things change.
If you were blessed with power brakes, use bice grips and ice cream stick or tongue depressors and block the hose to the booster.
Does the trans have a vacuum modulator? Try blocking that one too.
If all that fails, open the distributor cap and look at the points.
Replace if necessary.
While you are in there, look at the ground wire on the breaker plate.
I have seen them go bad and with no vacuum( such as acceleration, the points have a good ground and the problem is gone till the vacuum builds up in cruise, and the breaker plate moves again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts