Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulled apart a bunch of stuff on my front end today and noticed something strange with the shifter when I was putting it all back together.

It's hard to shift from park to reverse, from low to high, and from reverse to back to park. All other shifts are ok. I spent a bunch of time messing with the steering column on both sides, the detent, the linkage, etc. I finally pulled everything off and shifted it at the tranny and that's where the problem seems to be. All the linkage and other parts shift great when detached from the tranny.

All this is with the car not running and/or idling at a stand still(not while driving). Any ideas on what's going on here? It was driving me up a wall today. I'm going to drive it a bit tomorrow and then check the fluid, but I wouldn't think this would matter when it's just parked.

('62 air cooled 2 spd power glide, stock column shifted 1st gen.)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
shifting the lever by hand is going to seem hard as there is a spring loaded ball against the pawl. the linkage gives leverage making the shift easier. from what i've seen it's normally in the linkage, not the trans when hard shifting is experienced.

is the car sitting on level ground when you're testing the linkage? the assembly manual has a fairly decent breakdown on the column & linkage in case that may help... i'm unsure if you've referenced it during your inspections.

take a look at the linkage ends/grommets for excessive wear. check the detente lever for dirt/grime that could be hindering a smooth shift operation...

that's all i got, hope ya figure it out...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts