Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the CPP disc brake kit online here from a member with the 2' dropped spindle, calipers and the whole deal to have front disc brakes on my 63 wagon. Now the only thing I need is to get a new dual master cylinder, brake booster, and prop valve. My plan is to go to Auto Zone or NAPA and get a 67 brake booster which they have for just under $100 and then a dual master cylinder. Now for the proportioning valve I was going to get this from CPP but wanted to get some oppinions first on which one? Would this be my best bet? I can't see spending $300 or more on CPP's power booster and prop when I can get a stock type one from the parts store that will work and look just about the same. Now how about mounting brackets, will I need some kind of mounting bracket for the booster to the firewall and brake pedal? Any tips on what to watch out for and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I also plan to buy the CPP or MP brake line conversion kit to run the lines seperate since I am going from a single manual master cylinder to a dual powered unit.
I am hoping to have this brake job done by next weekend if time and weather allows.
Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Good hunting, Napa sells the Master Cylinder Disc/Drum and Booster combination NBB509088. $134 for both plus $55.6 core charge. Sneaky core charges add to the price. (ONLINE PRICE) Don't know who makes it. Only shows up when searching for a '67. More new "old" parts are showing up all the time.

I have been looking at stock style proportioning valves also. A stock one from Chevy2only comes with bracket and lines to the master cylinder. May be worth the few dollars saved vs. making the lines and bracket.

My booster conversion notes

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Are you saying that I should go with the NAPA one or the kit on CPP? Also, I didn't know you had to make those brackets for strength. How many people here have made that bracket? I never saw it nor heard about it from anyone yet, that is the first.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Thanks for the info! Are you saying that I should go with the NAPA one or the kit on CPP? Also, I didn't know you had to make those brackets for strength. How many people here have made that bracket? I never saw it nor heard about it from anyone yet, that is the first.
Use whichever works for you. A few years ago NAPA and Autozone didn't list these in my area of the country, at least that is what the parts guy said.

The bracket is needed. I found the stock installation instructions on an old post and updated my Power Brakes web page. It outlines what you need. Making the bracket is fairly easy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My tip is to take the pedal brace out of the car to remove the studs that hold the old master cyl. Trying to drive them out while in the car can mess stuff up. Search power booster install to get info on the dimples in the firewall and the sheet metal screw.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I recommend getting an adjustable proportioning valve. Takes the guess work out of finding a stock type that has the right amount of fluid control. And then if you decide to change your rear brakes you can adjust it accordingly. And the different weights of the cars will make it a guessing game locating the correct fixed valve. JR

·
Registered
681 Posts
My tip is to take the pedal brace out of the car to remove the studs that hold the old master cyl. Trying to drive them out while in the car can mess stuff up. Search power booster install to get info on the dimples in the firewall and the sheet metal screw.
What sheet metal screw?

You'll also need the firewall brace for the lower bolt. Do not forget this!! Chevy2Only has it. With that, you'll need the bolt, and the brake light switch adapter as well.

DW.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow there is more than I thought to adding power to the Chevy II. Usually my other old trucks and cars it was adding a dual m/c, prop valve, booster and new lines and that was it. So let me get this straight. I will need the following:
1.) Brake booster and dual M/C
2.) Adjustable Prop Valve (Can you guys recommend which one would be best?)
3.) Light switch adapter (Where do I get this, I thought I had one on the car already)?
4.) Firewall Brace for the lower booster bolt on fire wall... Is this the one that Mychevyii20 was saying to fab up inside?
5.) New brake lines (conversion kit) that runs to the passenger side for the rear.
Am I missing anything? Also any info on that bracket from Chevy 2 Only and the Adj. Prop. valve would be great!
Thanks again guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts